Sick 23 mo only wants Breastmilk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, 
my 23 month old son is sick with a stomach infection/flu (not sure if viral/bacterial). I've tried giving him Pedialyte, and a homemade "Pedialyte". He drinks the homemade stuff sometimes, and even then only a few sips. All he really wants is to nurse. I nurse on demand anyways, so it's no big deal...but do you think this is enough?

I had bought some disposable diapers since he has diarreah (sp), and i can't tell how often he is peeing.

My question is: Do you think the nursing would be enough to keep him hydrated. I really don't want to have him on an iv like my son had last week (he also had the infection and refused liquids).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Breastmilk has basically all the advantages of pedialyte PLUS protein and calcium.  Pedialyte is what you would give if you can't get breastmilk.  That does not mean that some children will not still become dehydrated in this situation (if vomiting or diarrhea is too extreme it could become impossible to "keep up") but that pedialyte will not help *more* than breastmilk.

Make sure *you* are staying hydrated so your body can continue making milk.  You'll also be boosting his immune system since you've also been exposed to the same illness.

hug2.gifGood luck

#3 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replysmile.gif

I definitely makes me feel better. No wonder he prefers the milk to the pedialyte. He knows what he needs i guess :)

I'm going to continue doing what he's doing, and see how it goes...hopefully this will pass quickly!

#4 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM

TiredX2 said it all! Hope he feels better soon!

Aleo vera juice is suppose to be good for diarrhea/stomach cramping. I used it when we had a rough virus for a few days and it did help.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Aw, poor guy.

My kid won't drink pedialyte. I tried it and it super-sweet. He had a similar illness a few months ago (he's a few months older than yours), and we nursed lots and I also offered sips of water frequently, as well as coconut water.

Also (from one who learned the hard way) be careful cleaning up vomit & poop. Those bugs are v. contagious, and you don't want a recovering toddler and a sick mom!

#6 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Lathan ended up being admitted due to severe dehydration. He seems to be doing better now, except he is missing his mommy badly :( and i miss him :( 

I only get 2-2hour visits everyday, so it's been a tough day. He may be given solids tomorrow, and hopefully he can hold that down. If he does he will be coming home Thursday hopefully.

#7 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat2223 View Post

Update:

Lathan ended up being admitted due to severe dehydration. He seems to be doing better now, except he is missing his mommy badly :( and i miss him :( 

I only get 2-2hour visits everyday, so it's been a tough day. He may be given solids tomorrow, and hopefully he can hold that down. If he does he will be coming home Thursday hopefully.

Oh, that's horrible.  I'm so glad you knew enough to take him in.  Good luck getting him home Thursday--- I can't imagine what you are all going through.

#8 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM

hope you're holding your little guy soon.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Aww poor baby and poor Mama! Mine was int he hospital for dehydration too - but I am fortunate we were roomed together and I could take time from work to be with him. He nursed up a storm!

Keep nursing, Mama!

#10 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM

any updates?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page