Nursing pain with 22 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, question...we've had a pretty easy breastfeeding relationship and now DS nurses around 4 times a day.  Recently I've noticed that if I'm anywhere post ovulation to AF that nursing becomes EXTREMELY uncomfortable--makes me want to crawl out of my own skin discomfort.  It actually sounds like what people describe when they talk about nursing being uncomfortable in pregnancy (and believe me, no way I could be pregnant!)  It tends to be worse on the right side which has always been my more productive side...

It this normal?  And if so, what can I do about it?  

Oh, and does anyone know what might be causing this?

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 AM

I don't have any nipple pain, but I did just post something that might be related -- I seem to have cramping when nursing frequently (my dd is 2, and has increased her nursing demand recently to very near constantly, and I feel like I'm in the middle of one big long period!). It can be really uncomfortable... I have the mirena IUD in, so I know that I'm not pregnant, but I haven't found much talk about this and am wondering if the Mirena itself is causing the extended cramping (I've had it in for almost 2 years now, so no regular periods just cramping and occasional spotting). I feel like the nursing is causing more frequent cramping/spotting but I am unsure...   Have you noticed this pattern or just the breast sensitivity?

#3 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 AM

I definitely experienced the pain with ovulation.

#4 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mammanp, I did notice some cramping as well...but very mild.  It seems to be mostly the nipple pain, I have to breathe through it for a count of 10-20 to deal with it.  I wish there was more information out there about the hormonal effects of nursing into toddlerhood and childhood...it really is frustrating and it would be nice to have a clearer sense of what is going on with my body. 

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page