I think I need to night wean my 16 month old...help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm tired.  I'm co-sleeping still and she wakes up about every 1.5 hours to nurse back to sleep.  By the time the morning comes my nipples are really sore.  At around 5am she stays on for like 45 mins, whereas the other times she's on and off in 5 mins.  I am a single mother and am co-sleeping.  I've been with my mom for 6 months while I find a house to buy myself (after my ex-husband and I split up).  I'm wondering if I should try night weaning soon after we move to the new house, or is that too much change?  I was also considering starting her in her own room right away at the new house as well.  I would still probably spend most of the night in her bed, but at least it is her room and her bed and my room becomes my room again.  Thoughts?  I have read the Dr. Jay Gordon article and may try that...it has to be a time I can be severely sleep deprived though because even now if she doesn't get to nurse right away she sits up and cries for it.  

I'm nervous and already feel guilty!

#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mama.

I really feel for you.  My two year old still does the same thing (very frequent night waking to nurse, which I think is because we co-sleep).

I have found that parenting, amongst all the lovely and positive aspects, is a long exercise in being nerve-wracked and feeling guilty.  I have an older teen, too, so I have a perspective beyond the toddler years as well.

You have a ton on your plate, and I would say that anything that makes your life easier is worth looking into.  You should feel really good about nursing your child this long and throughout what sounds like pretty significant personal trauma. 

The main reason we haven't night-weaned, honestly, is because if I don't nurse him, he gets all hysterical and screamy.  I have recently tried telling him my breasts are sleeping, which works maybe one out of ten times.  I have also tried telling him "okay" when he semi-wakes and asks to nurse...kind of trying to say yes, so he won't get upset, but then not actually nursing.  It works about the same as the other.

Much good luck to you.  joy.gif

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

The main reason we haven't night-weaned, honestly, is because if I don't nurse him, he gets all hysterical and screamy.  I have recently tried telling him my breasts are sleeping, which works maybe one out of ten times.  I have also tried telling him "okay" when he semi-wakes and asks to nurse...kind of trying to say yes, so he won't get upset, but then not actually nursing.  It works about the same as the other.

Ooooh thanks for these tips. I just started a thread about our nightweaning woes and it's the same thing as you: DS got so hysterical the ONE night we tried to nightwean that we gave up. I have a feeling the Jay Gordon method might not work so well for kids who are more likely to get hysterical. I know a lot of kids will cry for awhile but then fall back asleep....but some keep escalating and do not get sleepy but rather keep screaming and freaking out.

I'll try these ideas and see if it can cut our night nursing down. One I have tried that's similar is telling him the milk is gone (which it often is, and he complains about) and that the boobs need time to make more milk (which is true!). A few times he has accepted this and said "okay", other times he keeps insisting.

Thanks!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page