Moms over 35 and non-returning periods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe this is wishful thinking... but I was wondering if there are any older moms who went right from pregnancy and BFing into menopause and therefore never got another period.

Hey, a girl can dream, right? Almost six months and holding...

Moo.

#2 of 6 Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It took a year for my periods to come back the first time; about that after my second. Dd1 was born when I was 40; I'm closing in on 48 now. Been breastfeeding the whole time. I'm pretty definitely in perimenopause now. Fun times. smile.gif

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Hello.  With DD1, mine came back 10 mos pp.  I was 34.  I'm 37 now and still no AF 13 months pp with DD2.

#4 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Interesting, right! 

Mine came back 20 months PP.  I have had few cycles since and the last was 6 days late, I am never late and I am not pregnant per store bought tests.  I am 36 and had my son at 34.  Nursing on demand still since birth.  Somewhat confusing for sure. 

Never even thought about pre-menopause.  Humm? 

'09   
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Goldenwillow and others, my ob/gyn said the best predictor of when you might hit menopause is when your mother or sisters did, though that only provides a very general guideline. Most women will start peri-menopause sometime in the late 40s, but of course it can be earlier. After the first, he did say there's no way of predicting when periods will return or if they'll be the same--in frequency or anything--as they were prior to the pregnancy. When my periods came back after dd1, for months they were super light when before they'd been relatively heavy. I'd always been very regular (28 days on the nose); they were less regular after.

Right now, low estrogen is probably causing v. dryness, but as long as dd2 is nursing, there's no way of telling how much of that is breastfeeding-related and how much of that is menopause-related. The hot flashes, however, are most certainly not breastfeeding related!

Mom of two girls.
#6 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Are you sure that hot flashes aren't related to breastfeeding? I've been getting a lot of those, but so have the other nursing mamas I know... maybe that's just post-partum hot flashes? That is very interesting... also, still no period despite feeling like I might get it soon.

We are doing BLW though, so he only gets solid food once a day and breastfeeds at will, which I guess keeps my supply up and the hormones up too?

On a side note, I keep getting "What are you feeding that kid? He's HUGE!!" so I guess he's okay. LOL People get really freaked out to know that I'm basically just breastfeeding him. We've only done solids for the last two weeks, so all that growth is from breast milk. It's amazing what our bodies can do to feed these little buggers, huh?

Moo.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page