Is it ok to let my 3 year old cuddle with and "interact" with my breasts?... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, this isn't about actual nursing per se, but definitely the after effects of a 2.5 year long nursing relationship.....My son self weaned at just a bit past 2.5 due to my current pregnancy. Since then, though, he is obsessed with my breasts...He is not at all interested in latching and is, in fact, proud of how he is a big boy and done drinking it and how great it will be when the new baby comes and starts nursing. But I can't take a shower or change clothes with him around because he BEGS to "say hi to the milkies" or says "mommy, they are SO cute!" or "SO beautiful!". 

Well, now he has a horrible chest cold, fever and wet cough and emotional distress from throwing up mucous...And I am full term pregnant...As he was wailing this morning and freaking out for over an hour due to his inability to stop coughing and gagging, I happened to be getting dressed. He cuddled with my breast, cupped his hand over the nipple and calmed down and fell asleep. Now though, during each coughing fit he asks to cuddle with the milkies. 

It works for me because I desperately need rest, but I am not sure this is healthy for his emotional development. Anyone else been there? How did you deal and address this with your LO?

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM

I've never been there personally, but an extended period of breast fondness seems to be pretty par for the course for many women/children.  Are you comfortable with the situation?  Especially since he is ill, I would tend to let it go but when he is feeling better if you want to cut it down you may want to consider limiting the time he sees you naked (to be clear I do not think you *need* to cut it down OR *need* to limit your young child from seeing you naked, I just wanted to throw that out there as a consideration).  Of course, given your pregnancy, it is likely he is going to have a whole lot of breast exposure in the near future, lol.

I hope your little guy feels better soon!

#3 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM

My daughter is almost 3 years old and is still nursing AND is obsessed with my breasts.  It must be normal for some kids.  I do put boundaries on it when it aggravates me or doesn't feel right, but mostly I am using it in the process of trying to wean her.  The only thing that she is comforted by when I try to get her to unlatch from nursing is the idea of "snuggling with the nipple".  I actually don't let her really touch the nipple but that is just because that annoys me, but she just lays next to my exposed breast and sometimes has her hand on it to help her fall asleep.  She also gets excited when she sees them while I'm changing or if we take a bath together.  I guess they have been a comfort to them for a long time so it makes sense!

Hope this helps.  I say follow what feels right to you...

#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM

It is great to read this and the replies! My 27 month old DS is just about done with nursing, but his love affair with my breasts is still going strong.  He is elated in the morning when he can nurse, gets super excited (jumping up and down and clapping) if he sees my breasts and often requests to "just put my hand on boobie".   smile.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

My son isn't completely weaned so I haven't experienced this but from the outside it seems totally normal. For your child's entire life, until recently, your breasts have been his comfort. He's done nursing but it's probably not clear to him the difference between nursing and touching boobies. We know the difference because we are adults and have (obviously!) an understanding of sexuality. I wouldn't worry about it unless it makes you uncomfortable. If it were me I would allow the behavior while he is sick and then once he's better slowly enforce some "booby boundaries" until the situation is one that is comfortable for everyone.

SAHM to DS stillheart.gif 7/1/2010, So excited for #2 due at the end of February!!!

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page