Ds causing pain by not latching on right at 16 months. What should I do to help improve our nursing relationship? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay so I really enjoy nursing ds2, he's 16mo.But lately we've been going through painful phases. As in him hurting my breasts. It's been going for about a month now. I don't know if it's because when he stops nursing or falls asleep he'll just kind of hang there and not want to unlatch. Also when he goes to nurse I've noticed he's not opening his mouth wide enough as he should. Not sure if what I was doing is contributing to the pain but, as I mentioned earlier he doesn't like to unlatch when he's done. So what I have been doing is gently pulling it away from him just enough to make him nurse again, and I keep doing that until he is finished and unlatches. If I use my finger, then he either cries or wakes up if he was asleep. Anyway I go through the whole process of healing my nipples, and when they're just about healed they get  hurt again. I think the main problem is that he doesn't open his mouth big enough. He doesn't bite that much. He'll only bite when he's either sick and it frustrates him because he can't breathe, or when he's really tired and doesn't want to nurse. He's learned not to bite me while nursing when he's teething and he knows the consequences if he does (I stop the session for a minute), but just to be safe I checked and there are no new teeth coming in.

The other problem is it's affecting our nursing relationship. He sees me in pain and picks up on that even when I try to hide it. It's so painful it gets to the point that I'm crying and taking pain meds (my right nipple actually bleeds a little). It's affecting my relationship with dh since I don't let him near it, and it's affecting my relationship with ds1. He doesn't nurse but he makes me pop it out and he pretends to be and actually sucks a little (maybe that's affecting it idk, he doesn't do it all the time and when he does it it's really light). I guess I have to return to my local LLL, but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions on how I can make him latch better or what I'm doing wrong at this point? I love nursing him and I know he loves to nurse as well. I really don't want to stop but it hurts really bad!

Thanks for reading it this far and I apologize for my post being all over the place. :)

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page