Weaning from the pump at work but BFing on the weekend? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.  DD turned 1 last weekend.  I've been pumping at work for her since I returned to work when she was 6 months.  I am eager to fully wean from the pump but continue to nurse when I'm home.  Wondering about others' experience.  I dropped from 2 to 1 pumping sessions at work this week and aside from feeling pretty full on my drive home, I haven't had any problems.  The biggest issue, though, is that DD is teething pretty badly right now and wants to nurse a lot more at night than she did in the past few months which I think is amping up my supply.  I am dying to be done pumping during the day at work but don't want mastitis.  My plan is to cut back my one session by a minute or two each day for a while.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM

I cut out pumping at a year by doing what you are doing-- though I didn't cut it by minute, I just dropped the last pump one day, and there was more milk when I got home but I didn't get plugged ducts (and I get them easily!)  I was able to nurse another year and a half without pumping at work, though my supply did go down, it was still enough to keep the nursing relationship going.  

#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Altair.  Great to know.  I don't mind if my supply drops as she's drinking cow's milk during the day.  I would like to continue nursing for a while  but do not want to pump anymore.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page