Night weaning worked- but a disaster during the day! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So at 18 months old I finally took the advice of many people and night weaned my son. It was rough for the first few nights, but he did get the hang of it. He slept through the night for the first time ever! Yes that's great, but to make up for it he now wakes up at 4am every single morning screaming for milk. I have tried refusing it to see if he would go back to sleep and after 1-2 hours of fighting he would sleep another 45 min- not worth it. So I nurse him at 4, but he still doesn't fall asleep. After 30 min he needs to use the potty and/or eat something.

Now I have a toddler who is running on 9-10 hours of sleep. He is constantly over tired and edgy. He fights naps and wont sleep longer than 45 min after taking 1+hours getting there.

He will easily nurse to sleep, but the problem is that he either wont fall into a deep sleep, or he will sleep for 3 hours attached to my boob and I am stuck there. I am pregnant and I always end up having to go to the bathroom in the middle, which wakes him up.

Can anyone relate or have any advice?? Thanks!

Just to add, before night weaning he would easily take a 2 hour nap on his own. I would nurse to sleep and then leave him. Now it's like he's paranoid about the milk being gone.

I'm also worried what will happen once the baby comes. Will he be possessive of his milk?

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
User Tag List