Help! Trip W/O nursling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so sometime late spring/early summer I'm going to have to go on a trip without my toddler (there is seriously no other option for 5-6 days).  My mom died and we will be going through her things and having a celebration for life (an entire day's worth of air travel from where I live).  My son will be two but he nurses around 3 times a day and I have no plans for weaning any sooner than he wants to.  I know I'm going to have to pump while I'm gone...but is there any way to avoid weaning while I'm gone?  Any suggestions?  How can I prepare him for my absence (he'll be with DW while I'm gone)?  I've never been away from him for longer than 10 hours (a long work day over a year ago--I've been away from him for less than 4 hours at a time for about a year when I became a SAHM).

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM

no advice, I'm in a simliar boat, but my DD will only be 12 months, and I'll only be gone 2 days. Looking for experience as well!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM

I just spent 2 nights and 1 day away from my 14.5 month old son.  First time ever.  The times he would have normally nursed he was given a bottle.  I had some milk frozen that they used while I was gone.  It worked out fine, when he saw me again the first thing he did was nurse again.  I don't know if a bottle is a viable alternative for you while you are gone though.  

Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks :)  DS hasn't taken a bottle in probably a year so I'm thinking that's out.  He will get milk (or his favorite, blueberry yogurt mixed with milk) at the times he'd normally nurse.  I'm going to pump enough while I'm gone to be comfortable and just hope for the best when I get back.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
User Tag List