Weaning from nursing to sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 13 months. She nurses down to sleep for bed and nap and wakes up once at night to nurse (like hungry nurse). I don't mind her actually nursing down much of the time - if she's tired enough it only takes 10-20 minutes before I can escape.

But at night, about 30-60 minutes after I put her down, she wakes up and starts crying for me because she wants to nurse back down, and that is the one where it may take another 10-20 minutes, or it could take up to an hour - and if I don't get to her quickly, she might just wake up and take the past 30-60 minutes as a nap. This happens in about half of her naps too - 15-30 minutes in she wakes up screaming to nurse back down, and probably half of the time she does that I end up in there the rest of her nap stuck to her or she just totally wakes up. 

Like I said, I don't mind her waking up in the middle of the night when I'm in the bed sleeping with her, it's the waking up after initially going down, and sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times! I just want her to learn how to go back to sleep on her own without thinking BOOB, MUST HAVE BOOB, NEED BOOB NOW! orngtongue.gif Sometimes my mom has gone in there and laid down with her and a couple times she was fine falling back to sleep because she knows my mom doesn't have the goods. But with me I can't just hold her or sit there with her, she wants my boobs and that's that. Plus if she could learn to go down without nursing, it would make leaving her with someone else a LOT easier (I've had *two* nights out since she was born).

I'm going crazy. I really am. Nuts. PLEASE HELP ME!! 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 3 Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I remember feeling that my baby was psychic.

If he knew that I wanted him to go to sleep right away (because we had guests, or wanted to watch a movie, or whatever), that he would take especially long.

Could it be that she feels that you are thinking of weaning?

Maybe she feels desperate to get as much as she can before the inevitable happens.

My advice is just relax into it. Don't think about it while nursing.

If she feels you're relaxed, she'll relax.

Extra-long bedtime stories helped us a lot.

Mama to one 9yo Dancing Boy

My Blog - http://luminousfire.blogspot.com/

#3 of 3 Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was like this. He would always fall asleep at night and wake within an hour or so and want to nurse to sleep and then if I didn't get in bed within the next half hour or so he'd wake up looking for me. I got tired of going in and sneaking out over and over so I just started to go to sleep at, like 9:30. Anyway, he now goes to sleep at and stays asleep (although sometimes rouses to look for me)  much better and that's because I night weaned him. That being said, he was 20 months old when I did it, not 13. I'm not advocating to night wean your daughter. I think you have to decided whether she's ready but I will say that for me night weaning has allowed my son to learn to put himself back to sleep. When they aren't expecting to nurse there really isn't anything to wake up for.

SAHM to DS stillheart.gif 7/1/2010, So excited for #2 due at the end of February!!!

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page