going on a trip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are talking about going on a short trip to Austin(4 hour drive from us) in May. Our DD will be 12 months then. DH really wants to leave both kids with his parents, and I'm fine with it, but I'm a little worried that DD will self wean while I'm gone. We're leaving on a thursday night and will return on Saturday afternoon. From your experience, did your young toddler need longer than a few days to self wean whil you were gone? I don't think I'll have a problem, but on the off chance she refuses the breast when I return, I'll be devastated!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids each started spending occasional weekends with their grandparents, starting around 12-18 months old.  It didn't affect the nursing habits of either one.  At that age they are eating solid food well and drinking out of a sippy cup.  I think my in-laws kept them so busy and they had so much fun, they "forgot" about nursing while they were there.  Yet they started their typical patterns again as soon as they got home.  It didn't affect true weaning at all, for either one.

For what it's worth, my dd stopped nursing when I was pregnant because my milk dried up during the second trimester.  She was maybe 15-16 months old.  She started nursing again after her brother was born, when she was 21 months old.  She hadn't forgotten a thing, and continued to nurse for several more years.

I wouldn't worry about it at that age. 

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page