Pumping for my Toddler - First Time Advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 14 month old is allergic to dairy and doesnt seem to like other types of milk. So I was thinking of pumping so that my husband could start giving her my milk in a sippy cup. Problem is I have never pumped before. Is it too late to try it now? If its not too late can someone tell me how I would go about it. Like when I should pump...how to make extra milk, etc...

TIA

#2 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM

It's a big investment to make at this stage in the game--unless you already have a pump? Mine cost more than $200. How long are you planning to be apart from her? Are you going to be working outside the home?

I was back at work when my son was 16 weeks and pumped through his first year. After I stopped pumping, it took *months* before he reliably would drink cow's milk during the day at home, but he was fine for a whole work day (so about 8.5 hours) without any milk at all. We did give him plenty of cheese and yogurt, though.

#3 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmama1 View Post

My 14 month old is allergic to dairy and doesnt seem to like other types of milk. So I was thinking of pumping so that my husband could start giving her my milk in a sippy cup. Problem is I have never pumped before. Is it too late to try it now? If its not too late can someone tell me how I would go about it. Like when I should pump...how to make extra milk, etc...

TIA

Hi,

I exclusively pumped until my daughter was 30 months old, so it's definitely possible to pump when you have a toddler. I would recommend renting a hospital grade pump; it's likely cheaper than purchasing a personal-use pump and, most importantly, IME hospital grade pumps are much better and faster at pumping milk and keeping your supply up. Feel free to PM me if you have specific pumping questions.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi
I do already have a pump, I just only used it a few times because I never got the hang of it. DD still nurses about every 2 hours. I'd really like to be able to leave her with a sitter/husband for longer than that which is why I thought pumping would be good.
#5 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM

So at that age, and for that purpose, I think both you and she would be *fine* if you didn't pump. Why don't you leave her with your husband for a few hours on the weekend while you go do something for yourself, and see how it goes? Start out with a 3 hour break, evaluate, and go from there?

Because pumping while you're on a date with your spouse? Not so romantic, IME. :)

#6 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Hi,

I also have exclusively pumped for my ds since he was five months old.  He's 26+ and I'm still pumping about 25oz/day for him. 

Here are some things I've found about pumping. 

1) The only way I've been able to up my milk supply effectively is to pump (and/or bf) at least 8-10 times per 24-hour period.  (About 1 month ago, I had gotten lazy and was down to 15 oz which is not enough for what my little one wants and I thought it over and decided i wasn't interested in weaning yet and also wanted to give him more in the day, so for about 2 weeks i pumped 8-9x per day, including 2 night time pump sessions and am back up to about 25oz in 24 hours.)

2) Every time I have tried to get rid of my night time session (anywhere between 2 and 5 am) my milk supply dropped more than I wanted

3) Around the beginning of my period, my milk supply always drops, but then always comes back up again toward the end of my period

4) I haven't found any supplements that are especially effective long term.  What seems to work best for me is to supplement for a while, then take a break, then start up again when I feel I need a boost.  Some things I've supplemented with: More Milk Plus (sorta $), Blessed Thistle + Fenugreek tabs (Fenugreek, 8-12 tabs/day), oatmeal, brewers' yeast...

5) Any major stress events, even just two days long, decreases my milk supply.  so as much as possible, work on staying away from stress (or finding new ways to interpret situations).

When I first had trouble, i bought a double electric medela (in style) and that's what I've used the entire time.  I bet a hospital grade would be better (as pp suggested), more effective, but I never tried one....

Hope this helps.  

#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM

hi....this is Laura,nursing 5 little ones part time...you did not state why you have stopped nursing...(or do you nurse)......some moms nurse part time over 4 years

#8 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

really just get a good breast pump and do it when you can. I still pump for my 28 month oldeven though I stopped nursing him at 16 months! But because I am not also nursing him my supply is pretty low so I literally only pump one ounce each 20 minute pumping session. At this point I just do it 1-2 times a day simply because I want him to have any breast milk he can at this point so if he gets 2 oz's a day that is 14 oz's a wk more than if I stopped pumping! When I first started pumping I was able to do it 4 times a day and thus got 2 oz's in a session sometimes- the more you nurse/pump the more you produce. But it was too time consuming for me so now I am much more relaxed about how often I do it! I use a medela electric pump which I rent (but us still expensive a I have rented it for so long!)

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page