Confused - Weaning 14 MO - Mom with ADD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I've thought about writing about my experience here but had been feeling that I was the only one who would know what felt right. But maybe some of you have been through this and can share your experiences.

My DS, now 14 months, exclusively breastfed up to almost a year (well solids as of 5.5 months). He started daycare at 10 months and I pumped every evening for 3 months. For sure my production went down since I only pumped at night but it never seemed to be an issue as he seemed satisfied.

Fast forward to a bit before his first birthday. My breastmilk stash was becoming dire and I decided to start transitioning to cow's milk. He got pretty used to it after a few weeks. It was a relief to have milk in endless supply that I didn't have to pump!!! DS would still nurse 2-4 times a day, mostly in the evening and night. Since DS was still waking a lot at night, I'd breastfeed him and give him a bottle of milk before bed to fill him up.

In the last two months, we've gone to 2-4 times nursing a day to now once a day or every other day.

I'm confused as to whether this is CLW or whether I'm actually encouraging him to transition completely over to the bottle. He doesn't fight for the breast and seems perfectly content with the bottle. Sometimes he refuses the breast but he does the same to the bottle. 

One thing as DS turned 1, I decided I was through with nursing in public. It felt like something I wanted to be a private experience after months of nursing everywhere and anywhere. I was over baring my flabby stomach in public!! ROTFLMAO.gif

Breastfeeding DS has been such a warm and bonding experience. I'm kind of sad to give it up and just want to make sure I'm not leading too much. The issue actually is that I have mild ADD but used to be on medication. I have been loosing a lot of things and the meds always helped me focus at work (oh and I'm in school too). So I feel I should maybe for the sake of my family's sanity have DS weaned fairly soon so I can go back to taking the meds.

Any thoughts?

#2 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

The bottle is a substitute for the breast. It is not CLW.

But I just want to say, congratulations for making it to 14 mo!

caffix.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM

As the PP said, that is definately not CLW.  By introducing bottles and actively decreasing nursing, that is no longer CLW.  That said, CLW doesn't need to be a goal for every mom and you should be proud of what you accomplished.  Have you had someone look up your specific medication in Hale's to see if it would be safe to go back on while still nursing?  There are very few meds that are not compatable with nursing but many doctors don't do the research to find that out.

Enjoy your little guy!

PatioGardener likes this.

#4 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 AM

I agree that this is not CLW but that doesn't mean you are doing something 'wrong' or leading him 'too much' -- if you are happy & healthy and he is happy & healthy then you are doing it right. smile.gif There are many ways to nurse & many ways to wean, CLW isn't the only way.

I would double-check that you can't nurse on your ADD meds... or see if your doc could prescribe something that IS suitable for nursing. If you are willing/able to, your DS would certainly benefit from continuing to nurse, even infrequently, but of course your mental health is very important & will affect him just as much, if not more!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for your answers.

I got busy and forgot to reply.upsidedown.gif

DS really stopped nursing about 6 weeks ago so it's over. I'm somewhat sad about it. I met with my doctor this week and she said that Concerta is compatible with nursing but since it's a new drug the studies are limited. The idea of any of that drug being released in breast milk is still disturbing to me.

Anyhow, this being my first child, it's all a learning process. Something tells me I'd continue nursing longer second time around. I didn't really realize that offering milk in a bottle and the breast simultaneosly would wean him. He did start pushing my breast away though at the end and I never refused him to nurse. I think I was somewhat affected by the people's judgements of nursing toddlers and was partly done with nursing in public (something I got used to but didn't exactly love to do). 

I guess what makes me sad is that I no longer have that way to comfort him. Then sometimes I read about the health benefits of nursing into toddlerhood and I feel guilty.

Well I'm grieving the end of the breastfeeding relationship. It just seems like it was such a central part of our relationship and it ended quite quickly.

Live and learn!

#6 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Just wanted to chime in with some more kudos for a successful nursing relationship smile.gif And also wanted to echo that what worked out for you guys was certainly a gentle way to wean. Way to go, mama!

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Tags
Child Led Weaning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page