Breastmilk, water and what else to drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is just over 1 year old and we started the transition to daycare two weeks ago. Tomorrow is my first day back to work. My DD exclusively drinks breastmilk and we have some concerns around sensitivity to dairy so we haven't introduced her to any other milks yet.

Right now she wakes up in the morning and eats breakfast, then snack at daycare and then lunch. She gets water in a sippy cup at these meals which she doesn't really drink much of, if any at all.

She then gets a pumped bottle of breastmilk - 5 oz - around 12pm to coincide with her nap. then she has an afternoon snack at daycare and I pick her up at 4pm-ish. She's barely touched her bottle all day long, maybe drinking an ounce or two, and then finishes another two to three ounces in the car on the way home. If there's any left, she drinks it when we get home. She often doesn't nurse again until after dinner which is her pre-bed session, and as we cosleep she nurses all night long.

I'm worried about dehydration. Her afternoon diapers are super dry at daycare. How can I encourage her to drink more? (she's also not been eating as much, but I think that's related to all this change). Should I also consider giving her another type of milk to try out? If so, what? I have some vanilla flavored soy milk in the fridge. Given that she's still drinking breastmilk, how important are other types of milk at this stage in the game?

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#2 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Is she only offered water at meal times? Would it be possible to offer water more often? And maybe try some different cups? I don't think children need anything other than water and BM in most circumstances so I'd try other things before I offered a different liquid.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM

My kids never drank much when using a sippy cup.  They both did much better at using cups with straws, even at 12 mths.  I would try that.  And now, even at 3 yrs and 17 mths, they really only drink water.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#4 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I give my DD tea, I have a hard time getting her to drink enough and I've found that a mild spearmint or chamomile tea is what she drinks the most of. Also, I second trying a straw or just a regular cup, she seemed to be a bigger fan of those than of the sippy.

#5 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStelle View Post Also, I second trying a straw or just a regular cup, she seemed to be a bigger fan of those than of the sippy.

Me too. Also I had to ask daycare to offer water to my DS throughout the day, not just at mealtimes.

#6 of 6 Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I've read some good things about the doidy cup and I'll see if they can offer water more frequently.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page