hormonal changes during weaning a three year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I successfully night weaned my 3 year old daughter. I could not believe how easy it was, but that is another story. I think we were ready. Anyway...in addition to the night weaning, over the last week or so we have been drastically cutting down on daytime nursing (my girl has been one of those avid nursers, but again, that is another story!). We are still nursing once in morning and then and then no nursing until bedtime -- or sometimes one middle of the day nursing if needed...so here is the question. I have been feeling a lot of symptoms that sound like perimenopause. I am 41. Really severe PMS, anxiety, trouble sleepoing, sadness, and erratic period (well, this month was the first erratic one, came early and is heavy). I wonder if some of the changes could be caused by hormonal changes with weaning? My girl used to nurse A LOT. If so -- does anyone know of a source for dietary/herbal/etc remedies to help during this time - would it be similar to those recommended for perimenopause or just general good health? I am curious if there any sources addressing hormonal changes specific to weaning (assuming they are different than perimenopause or PMS-related issues. I was wondering about prolactin levels suddenly dropping). I am already going to try to cut out caffeine (God help me).

Thanks for any info!

#2 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM

I don't have any advice regarding peri menopause but I did experience hormonal shift when I weaned my 2 year old a few months back. Mostly feeling depressed and like I lost something ( my nursing happy hormones). We were only doing morning nursing so weaning was very gradual but still felt the shift so I can only imagine that if you were bf frequently and then drastically reduced feedings then there would definitely be hormonal changes. And of course everyone is affected differently. When I googled for tips on dealing with weaning depression I found an exercise program that helps with hormonal issues called T-Tapp. Although I did not do it while feeling depressed I have tried a few times recently and I can see that it could've helped in feeling better sooner. The most important thing I did do was give myself enough time to adjust and even though it felt like I would never feel like myself again it was helpful to just know it was a normal reaction and it would soon pass.
By the way I'm very impressed with 3years! Way to go!
#3 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Mamita! I will google T-Tapp (and, actually, "weaning depression" - I had not thought of that search phrase...)...it's just good to know you are not alone!

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page