Breastfed 13 month-old not gaining weight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So ever since my son turned about 6 months he has dropped weight percentiles precipitously.  It is to be expected as he was exclusively breastfed, we did baby-led weaning, and he was/is extremely active.  However, I am beginning to get concerned.  He was only 17 lb 6 oz as of his 1 year ped visit; my scale at home had the same weight at that time.  I weighed him about 2/3 weeks later and he was up almost a pound - I was so relived!!  However, when I weighed him a day ago he had dropped back down to the same 17 lb 6 oz.  He did have several "poop-splosions" in the intervening days, so I wonder if the weight gain was due to constipation....  At any rate not gaining and/or losing weight when he is so small to begin with is freaking me out!!

At his 1 year the ped was concerned about his slow weight gain as he was falling off his curve, but relaxed a bit when I told him that paternal grandma was under 5 feet tall - he thinks DS has some petite genes even though DH and I are tall (6'4'' and 5'7'' respectively).  But I'm still concerned -DS eats plenty of solids (I think) and nurses on demand at home including 2+ times at night.  At DC he has recently lost interest in drinking his bottles, but he dropped off in weight gain prior to that development. I send at least 8oz of expressed milk and he drinks most of it.

So, the big question is do I start supplementing with high fat drinks at DC and at home - he may not be getting enough BM - or is this just his nature and nothing further needs to be done??

TIA!!

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#2 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywan View Post

So ever since my son turned about 6 months he has dropped weight percentiles precipitously.  It is to be expected as he was exclusively breastfed, we did baby-led weaning, and he was/is extremely active.  However, I am beginning to get concerned.  He was only 17 lb 6 oz as of his 1 year ped visit; my scale at home had the same weight at that time.  I weighed him about 2/3 weeks later and he was up almost a pound - I was so relived!!  However, when I weighed him a day ago he had dropped back down to the same 17 lb 6 oz.  He did have several "poop-splosions" in the intervening days, so I wonder if the weight gain was due to constipation....  At any rate not gaining and/or losing weight when he is so small to begin with is freaking me out!!

At his 1 year the ped was concerned about his slow weight gain as he was falling off his curve, but relaxed a bit when I told him that paternal grandma was under 5 feet tall - he thinks DS has some petite genes even though DH and I are tall (6'4'' and 5'7'' respectively).  But I'm still concerned -DS eats plenty of solids (I think) and nurses on demand at home including 2+ times at night.  At DC he has recently lost interest in drinking his bottles, but he dropped off in weight gain prior to that development. I send at least 8oz of expressed milk and he drinks most of it.

So, the big question is do I start supplementing with high fat drinks at DC and at home - he may not be getting enough BM - or is this just his nature and nothing further needs to be done??

TIA!!

Could he start using cups for the extra milk/formula?  Maybe it would renew his interest.  If you're not pumping for DC, I would try the cups of milk/formula.  If you think he's eating well, I guess I wouldn't worry.

Or are you saying you're pumping for bottle at DC but he doesn't want to drink them?  If that is the case, I'd still try the cups with bm and then formula if he'll take that.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the response!  I am pumping about 8-9 oz a day and sending that to DC.  DS will drink from a sippy in addition to the bottles, but doesn't seem very interested in drinking from anything other than boob at the moment bftoddler.gif I got my period today and production is *way* down, so I may have to supplement a little until it goes back up anyway....

I suppose I should get some high-fat Greek yogurt, add baby purees to it, and see if he'll take some of that in.  He would much rather feed himself though...  And dairy is a little questionable - my older son couldn't tolerate cow's milk, but had no problem with yogurt... Not sure if younger son has the same issues, but leery of experimenting. So confused!!

ETA: DS is very active, happy, sleeps and naps well, and is meeting all his milestone either early or on time.  His gross and fine motor skills are on point and he is quite verbal (although very difficult to understand!).

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#4 of 4 Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If he seems healthy and reaching milestones, I would assume that's his body type. If you're still worried, seek a second opinion.

I wouldn't push any kind of food; keep offering, but don't pressure. I've seen so many kids who would undereat when they are pressured (including my own).

Check this out:

http://www.ellynsatter.com/the-underweight-child-i-46.html?osCsid=5sm7p4oloih40gulqqo293sjo7

caffix.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page