Struggling but unsure why - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son is 15 months old. He was exclusively breastfed until we started solids. I have not had any supply issues. He wasn't as frequent a nurser as my older son was although he seems to increased the number of nursings lately. I weaned my older son while I was pregnant - he was 21 months. I struggled a bit at times with him as well. I never had that "ah let's sit, nurse, reconnect and relax" feeling. I tend to think about I need to do this and that but right now I can't move. It makes me antsy. Also my guy likes sticks his hand up into my armpit and my skin just crawls. I don't want to wean him but I feel sad that I don't enjoy nursing more.

My hubbys is zero help. He thinks that nursing this long is weird and anytime I get frustrated over it his suggestion is the same: wean. Sigh.

Any thoughts? Commiseration?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs and I've gone through periods where I am feeling tired (she still nurses at night) and feeling trapped.  I go on the web and read inspirational long term / attachment parenting stories and become re-focused and pleased with myself that I am continuing.  I do have to remind her (constantly) not to play with my other nipple while nursing... it drives me crazy when she does.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I occasionally get like this with my 28 month old. It's on nights she has been nursing for what is often hours (instead of maybe 15 minutes to sleep) and playing, poking, and occasionally pinching and she moves around bed latching on and off.

Now I send her out for a book with her dad, and she usually comes back calm and goes to sleep faster. Sometimes we just need that break when things feel bad.

Is there something else you can have him do when you feel like that? Also maybe setting limits and making the hand in the armpit stop by removing it each time.

When my daughter started to bite me (before 1 year) nothing worked until I just didn't react by making noise, and instead moved her a few feet away for a period. She got upset but the biting stopped really fast.

Good luck getting through this. I swear the fact that it's baby 2 has probably made a big difference for you. You have less time and more to do. Is there any way you can make that relax time? I got a tablet and now read books while I nurse which I love! I get them through the library system so it's even free.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Carriebird - if you have a chance to share a link or two I would appreciate it.

HappyMonkey - I have been removing that hand consistently and I think he has mostly stopped. I often had the same antsy feeling with my first of I have so much to do but I have to sit here. Electronics get a bit tricky since he is grabby but I suppose I should set us up with a toy for him and my smart phone for me.

I imagine it is part of a bigger picture of me feeling I need to do everything and do it perfectly. Sigh

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS does have nursing sessions where he seems more into turning upside down and dancing around than drinking any milk, I tend to cut the session short after a few minutes if I don't feel like being bounced on.  He will either accept that and go play, or protest loudly and then get more down to business when I offer him a second chance. 

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
User Tag List