Mastitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So yesterday we went out to go grocery shopping, then play at the park, then work for a while then go to a rally. Before I knew it ten hours passed without breastfeeding my 20 month old son. When we got home my left breast was kind of sore and swollen so I nursed him a little while to relieve some of the pressure, Before bed I meant to nurse him on the left side but he kept refusing and wiggling over to the right breast. Big mistake! At two AM I woke up with a bowling ball in my breast and had chills and sweats. I could not move without being nauseous. I woke up ds and he nursed some but kept falling back asleep. After a few hours of this I was finally able to get up and get some water to drink.

So today I stayed in bed until noon, I had his 4 year old big sissy bring him a diaper and clothes so I could change him in bed. And I tried to get them breakfast but puked in the sink instead, at this point my dd said I had to stay in bed and she would make breakfast, so they had cereal and cliff bars.

I was just now able to make it into the living room to get my laptop and try to take some vitamins. After fighting back nausea between each one I managed to take some oil of oregano, sodium ascorbate, beta carotene, lysine and milk thistle. I also slathered arnica gel all over my swollen breast. I tried to put some sage oil on it but the smell was too overpowering! Is there anything else I should be taking? If I feel better later today I might go to the health food store to pick up some poke root.

This is so awful, I just hope I am feeling well enough for us to go to work tomorrow!

be good family...

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope you are feeling better by now!

But I have to say that mastitis is nothing to take lightly.  I have had it many many times.  Even if symptoms seem to subside that infection can flare up again.  I think the recommendation is to see a dr. after 24 hours of symptoms.  I am not crazy about antibiotics but sometimes you need them.  You don't want to end up in the hospital.

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM

I hope you're feeling better......I agree with the pp that it's nothing to take lightly ( not saying you're smile.gif). Anyway when I had it my mw said to take my temp and if it's above 100.5 then they'd prescribe abx. I'm not too keen on abx but I feel like in this case it's warranted. A couple things I did that helped me was eating raw garlic, echinacea and expressing over my bathroom sink filled with hot water. These are all ideas from previous posters that posted here when I had it. I'll see if I can find my thread and post it here so you can refer to it. In the meantime take care, mastitis does get worse if not treated. Hope that helps
#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Here's the link to my thread

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1349639/are-these-symptoms-of-mastitis-and-if-so-should-i-still-continue-nursing-my-16mo-toddler

I hope you're feeling better, and I also wanted to say that when I had it my mw said to treat it like the flu.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page