Breastfeeding ten month old 2-3 x per day. Is this enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it's not as much as it could be, but for several reasons I am only able to breastfeed my ten month old consistently in the morning and in the evening before bed.

I occasionally can squeeze in an extra feeding in the middle of the day.

On the weekends, I'd say she nurses 3-5 times in a day.

During the week, between feedings, she eats solids well (healthy organic foods) and she drinks 1-2 bottles of goat's milk (not raw, store-bought).

Should I be concerned about her not getting enough breastmilk for brain/body growth?  (She seems to be thriving just fine...)

Would you be concerned?  If so, what would you do to remedy it, if more breastfeeding was not an option?

Thanks.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
It doesn't seem like enough to me. Obviously your LO is getting enough calories or they would be losing weight but I would be concerned about nutrients. If increasing the frequency of breast feeding wasn't an option my next choice would be providing expressed milk to replace the goats milk. If that wasn't an option then I would use formula not plain milk to replace the breast feeds I wasn't available to do.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

She is not night nursing? If not I would look into a breastmilk replacement, not just plain goat milk, for at least a few more months. There is a the Weston A Price Foundation website which shows you what needs to be added to the milk to make it an acceptable substitute. 

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page