REALLY thick breast milk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

okay, this is probably a silly question, but I'm on baby #1 so never done this before.  DS is weaning, he's been nursing once a week or so for a few weeks now.  My breasts have been feeling really heavy and full so I assumed I was still producing plenty of milk, and when I give them a test squeeze milk comes out.  DS has been acting strange about nursing lately, like taking a sip then pointing at it and saying "Milk"  and then another sip and "All gone" and I had no idea why because there was still milk in there.  So out of curiosity mostly, I tried pumping today and nothing happened.  I tried a bit longer and finally got a few drops out and it was about the consistency of condensed milk, the thick syrup like stuff in the cans.  Is that normal?  and also, could I build up my supply again at this point?  He's not quite ready to be done yet, and he's only 20 months so I'm not quite ready for him to be done yet either.  What can I do?

I guess I'm a Mom... how strange and wonderful.

#2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM

I'm not sure in the context of him weaning but have you ever had plugged ducts or mastitis? Even when I miss one feed I am probe to it and I've friend told me when she got plugged ducts she'd have to manually express and it would be like string cheese sometimes or soft butter!! I'd try a hot bath/shower and sine massaging and then try pumping. It sounds a bit weird to me, not sure why you got no responses.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Depending on the size of your breasts too the plugged ducts can "hide" an electric toothbrush on the spot can dislodge them. Also drink drink drink flush your system and make sure you're not dehydrated. His infrequent nursing right now could have triggered it.... Could he be weaning because of this issue though rather than the other way around?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

That's a new one to me...are you staying well hydrated?

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page