Weaning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I have some questions on weaning.

Originally I was planning on nursing my toddler until he weaned himself. However I need to wean him due to some medical reasons. It tears me to do it and I was struggling a lot with this but I have a family to take care of and I don't want to get worse and not be able to take care of the rest of my family because of this. My question is how do I do it? How do I even begin? He's got three teeth coming in right now and I'm going to wait until he's done teething. 

I have been to my doctor for my health issues and decided that I'm not going the conventional route. Instead I'm going through the holistic way through my naturopath and I'm going to start a detox. I have searched a lot here and can't really find any cleanse that I can do while nursing. Anyway any tips or advice would be great. I feel like going through a naturopath and doing a detox will help me tremendously but the downfall is that I have to stop bf. 

The other reason also is that we're not done having kids (I know I can bf and be pregnant at the same time), and a lot of these problems were triggered from my previous pregnancies. So I'm hoping I can eliminate some of these problems while improving my health so that the next LO that we have I can nurse until well beyond his/hers toddler years. 

I apologize if my post is all over the place. Again any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM

If you are sure this is what you need, the confidence you have will take you a long way in weaning.  Just be honest with your toddler in a way they can understand and take away one feeding at a time.  You can take away one feeding a week, or just do it all at once if you think that your toddler can handle that.  I have been weaning for a year and a half and am finally close to done.  The biggest piece is your partner's support and your resolve that this is best for the whole family.

I have found that distraction during the day (getting outside before they get cranky and sometimes a video) is the best way.  Also making sure they are eating and drinking enough that they don't feel the need to nurse for thirst or hunger.  At nighttime, developing other methods of falling asleep (walking, rocking, snuggling, rubbing their back, singing a song, telling stories, Daddy doing it) is the key.

You didn't give much details on your toddler's age or how often they nurse, but that info may help in more detailed advice.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for replying. My son is eighteen months old, and he is a frequent nurser. I think a lot of it has to do with his three teeth coming in, one of them being a molar. He does eat EVERYTHING and the box that it came in, but lately he has not wanted much except to nurse, which is why I haven't weaned him yet. I'm thinking it's all related to his teething. 

I'm kind of kicking myself, wishing I had taken care of myself when I was younger so I wouldn't be in this situation. To make things worse is what I get to hear from my parents and my inlaws that know about my situation is that "oh you're weaning him, it's time for it anyway." I get so pissed when I hear that because obviously if I had the choice I'd be doing it still. 

Anyway I'm thinking about something gradual and not too rough, for when he's done teething. I was thinking about something earlier: Should I buy him a soft toy like a teddy bear or one of those soft blankets so he can get attached to it (for nighttime)? I keep on hearing that I should not replace my breasts with his favorite food (he loooves yogurt, we make our own) because then he'll think that food can be used for comfort (mil's advice) but for me it doesn't feel right. Is she right? Also once he's weaned and I start nursing my next baby, is there a way that he might go back to nursing? I wouldn't mind at all if he did, I have no idea if that's possible or just wishful thinking. Thanks again. I hope that gives enough information.

ETA: DS1 was only nursed for two months. Recently though he's wanted to nurse but he doesn't know how to do it and he in turn hurts my nipples. That's why I'm kind of hopeful that Ds2 may restart once he sees me nursing again. One last question before I forget, ds2 is very attached to me, will he lose part of his attachment to me once he's weaned? I hope not. Thanks again

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page