tandem nursing with 3 year old that recently weaned? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I nursed my 3 year old a little past his 3rd birthday in which I was about 5 months pregnant and it was becoming a little unbearable. When I say unbearable, I don't exactly mean painful, although it was uncomfortable but it was a really annoying feeling. My milk was pretty much gone and he was dry nursing and sucking really hard and kind of using his teeth. I discouraged his nursing or would make him stop after a short time and when he protested I would tell him it hurt me, to which he would say "sorry mama" in the most heartbreaking way with the most disappointed look on his face.

I know he wasn't ready to stop but like I said it was a little unbearable for me. Its been a few months and he still asks to nurse on occassion and I have let him attempt a couple times but still get that unbearable feeling. I am now 37 weeks and when the new baby comes and my milk comes in I am hoping that the "unbearable" feeling doesn't resurface. I remember when my son was a newborn, the first few weeks were really rough because he wasn't latching properly and my nipples were really tender, I eventually figured it out and it was smooth sailing and enjoyable, but a few people told me that tender nipples initially is what I should expect and that it will hurt no matter what.

My concern is that I am not really looking forward to the nursing part (still going to do it, God willing) and apprehensive about bonding with the new baby and since my 3 year old still asks to nurse and gropes my breast for comfort when he is falling asleep, maybe let him start nursing again. Has anyone had a child start nursing after they had stopped for a few months? Also has anyone felt a little weird at the thought of nursing their newborn after extended nursing of an older child has stopped? I should clarify that for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed nursing my son, it was just during pregnancy that I started to find it unbearable...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page