Jurassic Pregnancy becomes Jurassic Breastfeeding Perimenopause - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any other 45 year old mothers wondering if their spotting instead of a period is due to perimenopause or breastfeeding?

I have spotting every 30 days, a breastfed 19 month old who eats complementary meals of course, and when my 12 year old daughter started her first cycle, it jarred me into the realization that I only had one period in the last 19 months since baby.

We have no family history of any reproductive cancers or anything wonky, so I'm not worried. My mother had fibroids which I do not have and had a hysterectomy for severe cycles at age 43 or younger. 

I'm the oldest daughter, and had my children later in life -- 30 to 44, so I have nobody to compare myself to. 

If not here, where is the best place to ask this question?

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#2 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Well, I had my last five years ago at 38 and went a full 18 months (at least) without a period. When they finally resumed it was business as usual continues to be so.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Diane.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#4 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM

i'm 44 and missed my period, went to the doctor for bloodwork and results came back today "looking like menopause." 

i nurse my 2.5 year old, AND have lost nearly 50 pounds through some strict restrictive dieting in over the past six months.

my mother didn't get menopause until in her 50s, and i have NO symptoms of menopause except the missed period.

i am suspecting that my hormones may be out of whack due to the huge loss of fat coupled with the nursing.

i am still digesting the news, however. 

i don't know much about the specific hormone levels, didn't know to ask what were the numbers. they are suggesting that i see a gynocologist for more information. i am thinking about next steps. and wondering if it is important to get my periods back. am thinking that if it takes gaining a few pounds back maybe i should. i am really not willing to stop nursing if my son still needs it, which he appears that he does. on the other hand, i would not mind cutting the overnight nursings, which are also limiting my sleep... can't be helping the situation.

most of all, i'm sorta in shock at the "diagnosis." as in, disbelieving it...

#5 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Kelli -

I have unfortunately not found ANYWHERE! on mdc for perimenopausal issues! Maybe you can make that happen. I had questions about ppd vs perimenopause and when you add in nursing hormones, it's bewildering and not your average conversation that others can relate to. My otherwise wonderful midwife was not that helpful but I found a great doc and am getting herbs for it.

With DD1 I went a year without a period, and with DD2 I only went 5 months, and both were ebf on demand, through the night etc. So it really varies. 

Good luck!

#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post

Well, I had my last five years ago at 38 and went a full 18 months (at least) without a period. When they finally resumed it was business as usual continues to be so.

I did NOT want to see THIS. LOL

I am so hoping that mine just never comes back. I'm 39 and 10 mos. post-partum with still no sign of a period. I'm totally okay if I just slip on into menopause a bit early.

Moo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page