Pregnant and Pumping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello

I am currently 5 weeks pregnant with my second. My almost 19 month old is still nurse. Just a little over a week ago before I new I was pregnant I offered to pump milk for a new mother who has a 6 week old and can't seem to get her milk supply up. Like the day I found out I was pregnant my 19 month old went a nursing spree and I can't seem to feed him enough yet alone pump anything. In a week of trying I have only been able to pump 8 oz when normal I could pump 8oz in one sitting. I am also very rarely away from my son who is stopping in for a snack which feel like every 10 minutes so I don't think I ever "fill up" enough to get a good pump going.

My first question is it is safe/smart/ a good idea to keep tring to pump for this other baby? While pregnant is it possible to build my milk supply at all or am I just giving away presious milk that my son could/should be having? Also is it a good idea to pump what I can and store it for my own child to have this winter to protect his immune system in case my supply goes down or drys up during this pregnancy?

I am struggling somewhat with guilt over telling this women could have my milk and now feeling like I need to hourd it away for my own child.

Any advice or tips anyone has is very welcome.

Thanks

Crystal

#2 of 2 Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Pumping won't affect your pregnancy and you will probably be able to pump some milk until... you can't. If you aren't pumping because you are away from your child it will probably mean less milk to pump.

As for how you use your new stash, that is really up to you. Personally, I would prioritze the needs of a newborn over a theoritical future flu season but I would totally understand why some people feel different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page