Nursing 26 months postpartum-still no period-wanting to get pregnant! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all, 

Just hoping for some reassurance here!

At 26 months postpartum, I still have no period. based on my cervical mucus, I also don't think I'm ovulating. I had never thought I would wean my daughter, but at 18 months, I decided to night wean in hopes of getting my period back. No luck. A few months later I cut her daytime nursings from about 10X's/day down to 6. Then down to three...and two. Now at almost 26 months she is only nursing once in the evening. I realize that everybody is different and no one can give me an answer, but I'm hoping that someone can relate. Is it possible that I might need to wean entirely to ovulate and get pregnant again? I feel torn between nursing by DD and doing whatever I need to get pregnant. I don't want to wean completely...but I also want a smallish gap between kids. I'm starting to feel like there is something wrong with my body! I weigh the same as I did pre-baby...have been trying to gain weight, but seems impossible. I've had my thyroid tested and it's fine. I feel so helpless and frustrated! 

Anyone else gone this long without a period while only nursing once a day? Is there anything I can do to encourage my cycle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

It sounds like you might need to completely wean.  BUT - this is a variation of normal.  the delay in return of your period is longer than average, but not so far outside normal that I would be worried yet.   

Make sure you are getting enough nutrients.  Add in vitamins if you need to.  And if you are worried, by all means, see a doctor.  At the very least it will put your mind at ease that things are running normally.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 AM

I have a friend who never gets her period back until after she completely weans and that is between 36-48 months.  She has 6 kids and it was this way with each of them.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Was your friend able to get pregnant before the return of her period, while still breastfeeding?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 AM

I too am nursing a toddler (17 months) & would love to get pregnant but still do not have a period. I have been using daily ovulation tests & I am ovulating...my cycles are just longer than normal. I have also tried acupuncture for fertility. Not sure if I will get my wish of getting pregnant while still nursing my baby, but I'm going to give it a try for a while. If I have no success I will have to drop some feeds. Does anyone have a story of getting pregnant while still nursing without the return of their period? Good luck to you.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas mom View Post

I too am nursing a toddler (17 months) & would love to get pregnant but still do not have a period. I have been using daily ovulation tests & I am ovulating...my cycles are just longer than normal. I have also tried acupuncture for fertility. Not sure if I will get my wish of getting pregnant while still nursing my baby, but I'm going to give it a try for a while. If I have no success I will have to drop some feeds. Does anyone have a story of getting pregnant while still nursing without the return of their period? Good luck to you.

I'm confused--- what do you mean your cycles are longer than normal if you are not having your period?  You can, as far as I know, ovulate *once* without getting your period (if you catch that egg and become pregnanat you would not have a post-partumn period).  But multiple times?  I did not know that was possible.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 PM

First off, how old are you?

Second, have you tried any supplementation to help get your fertility going again? I had luck with Optivite supplements. Some people have luck with Vitex. I would definitely try these before weaning.

User Tag List