Is there a place for toddler formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In absence of much or any breastmilk, do you find toddler formula to be necessary after 1 year?  My 12 month old is still nursing, but I've caused my supply to drop (long story) and the baby only nurses about twice per day.  I don't believe she gets much those two times.

Would you use toddler formula in supplementation, and if so, which brand would you choose and how often would you give it?

Thank you.

P.S.  Baby eats very well, mostly organic fruits, veggies, eggs, etc.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM

If baby is eating well, there is no reason to give toddler formula, which is a gimmick and unnecessary in the vast majority of children.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think that toddler formula would only be necessary for children who aren't eating well or gaining weight. Or perhaps a child going through emotional trauma or some sort of physical problem that limits or prohibits solid foods.

I think most kids don't need it. My son didn't.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS is 19 months and we do use toddler formula.

My situation is that we've breastfed from birth, but I've always had genuine low supply (long story...but basically my supply did not increase despite trying a whole range of things and so my DS needed formula supplement in order to gain weight).

At the 12 month mark I did offer him other types of milk (cow, almond, rice, coconut) but he did drink it, so we switched instead to a toddler formula.

We still continue to nurse on demand, but I notice that without giving him the toddler formula, his diaper output decreases rapidly.  My DS does not (ie by his own choice/will) drink any other liquids besides breastmilk and toddler formula, so it is important that he gets enough fluids to stay hydrated.  He is also a very picky eater and eats only a small amount of a very limited range of food. So in my DS' case, toddler formula is just one of several foods that he takes in, this is the way I look at it.

I would say, to use your own judgement based on your knowledge of your DD's food and fluid intake to determine if your she needs fluids other than the breastmilk she gets.  Remember, they do need to be hydrated as well as fed. 

I agree that if your child is eating well and taking in sufficient fluids, it is probably unnecessary.

I would disagree that toddler formula is "gimmicky" - there is a genuine time and place for it - such as the situation I described above.

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DS2 weaned earlier than I would have like and much earlier than my other kids, due to back-to-back miscarriages and a surgery that just tanked my milk supply.  He is sensitive to dairy and soy so he doesn't drink other milks, he eats a fantastic variety of foods and usually just drinks water.  We never considered toddler formula.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Nope, not if they are eating and drinking. I wean my kids at around 15 months & give them some Pediasure mixed with cow's milk to get them used to the taste of regular milk. They get weaned off of this in about a month and move on to just plain milk in a bottle once or twice per day for a while. The rest of the day, they always have access to water in a sippy cup.

Redmom, I absolutely see your point. I look at things like Pediasure and toddler formula as tools that can be v useful when needed. It sounds like your son needs it, so use it! For a "good" eater, it's not necessary.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

User Tag List