need help w/ DS's nursing frequency - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For my own sanity, I need some advice on how to (gently, as much as possible!) limit my DS's nursing.

I love the idea of CL weaning, and although I've always nursed my son on demand and understand that he is still less than 2 and can benefit from the comfort, I am at the point where I think I will be a happier mother to my son if I can severely cut back on his need to nurse, if not start the road to weaning now.

He is 19 mos. and is getting a tooth or two, so I know the teething is a factor right now. However, he is always been a comfort nurser from birth...so the teeth aren't the sole reason for this.

He has been apart from me a few times- most recently, for several days with his father visiting his family while I stayed behind to work. He slept through the night for 12 hours straight during this time while cosleeping with DH, then came home, and is now back to nursing every 1-3 hours at night.

During the day, he asks me probably every 20 min. to nurse...sometimes more often. Right when we wake up, right after he nurses, etc. etc. Constantly. When we are out, he doesn't ask much, and if I say no when we're out, he's Ok with it. At home if I say no (or, not right now, or you can after we eat, or whatever), he throws things at me- his board books (which one time hit my coffee mug and spilled hot coffee all over me), his toy shovels, his shoes.

I try to distract him, set a "schedule".  I take him out a lot, but in 100 degree heat, we have to come back home at some point...I can't distract him every hour of the day. We tried to nightwean him and it was such a battle that I gave up. Recently, after him nursing ever hour one night, I said no around 4 pm. He tantrumed off and on for 2 hours (which felt so wrong on my end, but I just couldn't do it anymore that night) and refused to go back to sleep.

The thing is, he is such a wonderful little boy.  He is sweet and gentle with other kids, he listens well, he helps me around the house, he loves to "clean" and has such a big personality...but every time I reflect on my frustrations of mothering, my thoughts go right to the nursing. And that makes me sad.

If you've been in a situation like this, I'd love to hear any suggestions/advice. I'd be very much willing to keep nursing if I could find a way to cut the sessions down by half of what he's having now!

#2 of 2 Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Have you tried posting in Child Led Weaning? Perhaps someone there will have some advice for you. thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page