Weaning Tips? I can't do this anymore. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Weaning tips? PLEASE? I know he's only 18mo but I'm done. I don't love it anymore. I'm starting to resent having to do it. I'm tired of the soreness with the crappy latch and the tantrums when I say "not right now." 
We already don't nurse in public or at night. But during the day he views it as open bar. He will seriously refuse water and food if I don't force him to go until he's desperate for something. (He's gotten slightly dehydrated before because he wanted to NURSE and I refused and made him drink water) My supply can't keep up with his needs. 
I tried giving him something "special" in place of nursing (seriously juice and candy) and it makes no difference. If given the choice he will nurse instead of eat candy. I'm proud but frustrated.
ANY help or advice you can give would be awesome. I'm frustrated to the point of tears as he stands and screams hysterically because I just now said "not right now" and walked away when he got physical.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 3 Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Can he spend some time with other kids in a play setting where they might all share snacks together? It could distract him from you and get him eating with the other kids. I weaned each of my kids around 21 months but didn't have the hard time that at you're having. They accepted the situation pretty well. They'd each spent some time in part time daycare and loved group meals so that might have helped.
#3 of 3 Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM

at 18 months can you sit and snuggle him through a tantrum without nursing, even if he gets physical? Don't let him hurt you, but just snuggle him through it? We didn't have to do that for weaning, but I had to do a lot of it with my daughter, oh from about 18 months till 3 yrs old to get her through tantrums, usually when she didn't get what she wanted.

The goal is for him to learn that he will still get all of the comfort and love, even without the breastfeeding.

At 18 months, I just don't think he has enough self control to stop himself from getting physical during these tantrums. He's not really learning anything from you walking away. He's just getting more frustrated.

and yes, occasionally I couldn't handle the tantrums. On those times I closed myself in the bathroom and let her have a tantrum until she fell asleep banging on the door. Overall, the tantrum snuggle is more effective wink1.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page