Tandem Nursing - Is baby getting enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, just a quick questions about tandem nursing.  My 2.5yo DD and 12 day old DS are nursing what feels like 24/7.  I feel like I haven't gotten off of the couch/out of bed since he came home.  I am doing fine with it, the hardest part is keeping up with how HUNGRY I am!  

My question is, how do you know that baby is getting enough?  He was 7lb 12oz at birth, 7lb 4oz when we left the hospital 24 hours later, and then up to 7lb 6oz 72 hrs after birth at our family practice office.  He was a little jaundiced, but our physician was not concerned since he is peeing pooing and nursing like crazy.  Per my adult scale here at home, he is about 8lb.  He is gulping like crazy and I am letting down multiple times.  I am not leaking, and I no longer feel really full, except in the morning.  I am trying to trust that my body will make enough, since they both seem satisfied, and DD says that there is lots of milk - but I just want to make sure she isn't taking too much?  I always try to nurse him first, but since I literally have one or both of them attached all the time, it is almost too difficult to determine who left off where.  I've read Adventures in Tandem Breastfeeding - but was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing that anyone would recommend?

Thank you!

Little bear 12/4/09
#2 of 2 Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds like your baby is getting enough because of weight gain, but plenty of wet diapers a day is the thing to look for. You're right to nurse the baby first and maybe DD will nurse less once she gets used to the new supply. I encouraged my daughter to nurse less during the day once the baby came by asking her to nurse only when she went to sleep. So, she would just shut her eyes and think that was sleeping. But, we try.

As for you, I know what you mean! I used to make myself a drink every morning that really helped when I was tandem nursing. I call it Baby Nog and it has 1 cup milk, 1 raw egg, 1 TBL Brewer's Yeast, 1 TBL Blackstrap Molasses, 1 Tablespoon Honey. Make it to taste. We had our own chickens then so I was confident about the eggs. And, drink plenty of water. 

Good luck, hon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page