A weekend away from 16 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering a long weekend trip for a couple of months from now when my daughter will be almost 16 months old. She still nurses all the time now when I'm at home with her, but I don't know how matters will change by then. I have no plans to cut back and try to keep my supply up so we can nurse whenever. But I'm concerned that I'll go away and she'll either have a really rough time sans boob, or she'll go the other direction and decide she's through nursing. Any thoughts? Anyone BTDT?

#2 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 05:11 PM

I dont think there is anyway to know what will happen. I'd go if it were me. I'd pump while I was there to keep my supply, and when you first see her (if you dont want her to wean) you might say, "are you ready to nurse?" or something like that.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Does she nurse down to sleep? Does she fall asleep for dad or whoever will be watching her? I have a 16 month old who sounds much like your LO, she loves nursing and does so all the time. She hasn't slowed down from 14 months old, that's for sure. She nurses to sleep every time and will not accept a substitute. She had an absolute fit once when I was out in the evening and she woke up and couldn't nurse. I was back in half an hour but by then she had a huge meltdown and screamed even with me.
I'm not trying to dissuade you but keep in mind whether she can sleep without you. I'm not considering an overnight trip at this point. My DD isn't ready for it. I hope your LO is more open to sleeping for another caregiver. Good luck :-)
#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I spent a night in hospital when my LO was 16 months old and still feeding a lot. I didn't express at all but I would have if it had been longer.

She was fine and it didn't change her feeding at all when I got home. She went to sleep without any problems for DH but woke several times over night (normal for her) and was harder to settle as I would normally have fed her. DH said she was awake for about half an hour each time and was teary but not hysterical or inconsolable.

The next day my dad was able to get her to sleep easily in the pram while DH was picking me up.

At that age I personally would not have left her voluntarily but she was fine and is still breastfeeding now at nearly 27 months when I am 26 weeks pregnant.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Does she nurse down to sleep? Does she fall asleep for dad or whoever will be watching her? I have a 16 month old who sounds much like your LO, she loves nursing and does so all the time. She hasn't slowed down from 14 months old, that's for sure. She nurses to sleep every time and will not accept a substitute. She had an absolute fit once when I was out in the evening and she woke up and couldn't nurse. I was back in half an hour but by then she had a huge meltdown and screamed even with me.
I'm not trying to dissuade you but keep in mind whether she can sleep without you. I'm not considering an overnight trip at this point. My DD isn't ready for it. I hope your LO is more open to sleeping for another caregiver. Good luck :-)

yeahthat.gif  My biggest concern would definitely be falling asleep/staying asleep.  I know my 15 mo. old definitely couldn't do that.  He would be devastated.  I just got to the point of leaving him with DH for an hour or two during the day!

Just wanted to add - I know it can be hard when your friends are leaving their kids for a weekend at a much younger age, and you're wondering when you will ever be able to do that...but I always think that I'll regain my independence naturally as DS gains his.  It really depends on your particular kiddo, and you are a great mama to be thinking about this ahead of time.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#6 of 9 Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

She will go to sleep fine for her dad. He does 50-75% of the bedtimes already... he's probably better than me at it. It's the night wakings that might be an issue, but I think she'll go back to sleep for him if he gives her a little pumped milk in a sippy cup (something we don't usually do, as I am on hand to feed from the tap, but have done a couple of times and she's been fine). We are working now on getting her to sleep longer stretches at night, so perhaps by that time she won't be up as much as she has been. I do work part-time, so she is used to being with other caregivers (mostly her father and grandmother).

#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Just recently BTDT with 15 month old DS. He did great, and the moment i got home he wanted to cuddle up and nurse which warmed my heart! He did fine for nights as well, he was with grandma who he adores so that was comforting to him. He went to sleep fine without me there, and when he woke up he was satisfied with cuddles from grandma and sleeping next to her. FYI, ds doesn't nurse to sleep (he has never wanted to since he was itty bitty) so that may have made it easier, but he wakes up lots during the night to nurse and nurses through the day. Everything is just as it was when I left. I hope it goes the same for you and your LO!

#8 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Update: trip went great, dd is still glued to the boob. I think it was rough on her, she was very clingy when I got back, but definitely had not lost interest in nursing. 

#9 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 AM

i left my son for a first time with grandparents when he was 8 months old and i didnt like it. he was offended after this. i never did it to my second child. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page