Just weaned three year old having trouble falling asleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 year old daughter nightweaned about three months ago.  We were down to only one nursing at bedtime, usually for 5 to 10 minutes.  I was mostly enjoying the bedtime nursing when it was short as she was falling asleep quickly when she wasn't napping during the day and it was a nice way to wind down at the end of the day (after the bedtime rituals of potty, brush teeth, pjs, and book).  I could feel that my body was not making much milk and it was starting to be excruciating to nurse for even a few minutes, but I was not planning to fully wean her just yet.  Well, a few nights ago, she was trying to nurse and said, "Mommy, there is no milk."  I told her that Mommies bodies make milk when they are pregnant for the baby that comes and then when the baby gets older and can eat enough food on her own, Mommies bodies no longer make milk.  I had told her this previously, but this time she really got it.  In fact, she told my friend the next day that she doesn't nurse anymore because "Mommy's nipples don't have any more milk".

Well, I am happy that she sort of weaned herself in the final stages (nightweaning was a little bit harder, but went ok).  However, I am having a horrible time getting her to sleep now. She is pretty much done with napping and usually if she does nap, she won't fall asleep until REALLY late.  In the past, we have done other things to get her to sleep, but nothing was as habitual and successful as nursing.  I have spent days rocking her to sleep, walking her in the stroller to sleep, and driving her to sleep (and walking her on my shoulder when she was younger).  There are times when she will fall asleep snuggling "with the nipple" (this is part of how we weaned, she came up with snuggling with the bare breast without nursing), but it takes a long time.  Last night it took me an hour to get her to sleep after lights out and 45 minutes of the time she spent thrashing around, playing, chatting, etc.  Tonight, I spent almost an hour and a half and finally got her to rock with me in the rocking chair.  She does not always take to rocking, driving, or the stroller and I want her to learn how to fall asleep in her bed, right?  I don't mind laying with her.  She just won't settle!  Help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

This probably overlaps a bit with weaning but if you don't get the feedback you need here in the Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy forum try posting to the Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting forum. 

User Tag List