Nipples stretched out and floppy after 6 years of nursing! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I breastfed my first child til she was 3 and now my second child is 3 months away from being 3 and I have decided to wean.  So I've been breastfeeding for 6 years straight and my nipples are long and floppy :(  The tips bounce on my breasts when I walk!  It was worth it to breastfeed both my children for so long but now I'm wondering....will they go back to normal?  Please tell me some good news here :)

Thank you!

#2 of 22 Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering!

Just bumping your post up to see if anyone has had this happen and can share their experience. 

#3 of 22 Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

So sad to see no response :(

#4 of 22 Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM

I think posts from people who are nursing "older" children get over looked a lot because not many people have been there done that yet. 

That said, I have nursed for 6 1/2 yrs. The last 6 yrs straight as of Sept. 9th : ). I have not had the issue you are having. Mine look like they did before. My breasts on the other hand do not : ( 

Hope that helps some, Welcome to Mothering!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 22 Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Bumping your thread. I'm really interested in the responses as I only have a 20 month old, still breastfeeding, and plan to continue until she self-weans. Then the next child and the next... 

Hopefully someone will have had a similar experience and share.

#6 of 22 Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM

I'm a bit apprehensive about someone who has only 2 posts on MDC inviting descriptions of long-term nursers' nipples and breasts.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

caffix.gif

#7 of 22 Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post

I'm a bit apprehensive about someone who has only 2 posts on MDC inviting descriptions of long-term nursers' nipples and breasts.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

Yes, I did take offense, transylvania_mom.

I was an avid poster 6 years ago when I became a first time mommy and depended on the mothering discussions community because they were like-minded, conscious mothers like me.  Was sad when my favorite magazine, Mothering, became out of print.  

I had since lost my login info and old email and started a new one.  I am looking for help on my very real issue.  Don't know why you wouldn't want to help a newbie anyway??

#8 of 22 Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post

I think posts from people who are nursing "older" children get over looked a lot because not many people have been there done that yet. 

That said, I have nursed for 6 1/2 yrs. The last 6 yrs straight as of Sept. 9th : ). I have not had the issue you are having. Mine look like they did before. My breasts on the other hand do not : ( 

Hope that helps some, Welcome to Mothering!

Katie,

Thank you so much, that is encouraging! So you stopped nursing after 6 years as of Sept 9th of 2011, correct?  How long did it take your nipples to get back to normal?

Also, I see that you are a senior member, maybe you can help me get my old login info and profile back?  I've tried and tried but gave up so I started a new profile and seems that because I'm a newbie, I'm getting judged and not helped by other members.  See post above.

Thank you!

#9 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM

I am currently still nursing. Sept 9th marks 6 yrs straight. (2 kids, My oldest only nursed 6 months and that is not counted in the final count lol)

My nipples look like they did when I started but my breasts of course do not. I think most of that is probably due to pregnancy but who knows. I  don't have much help as far as if they will return to normal. Maybe but I doubt it : (  Seems like all they major changes from having kids are here to stay : (

I would contact admin on here. There is a questions area and they should be able to help you as long as you remember your email that you had on the account or something similar. 

MDC isn't the place it used to be I am sad to say. 

Good luck getting your info so you can log in under your old name. People on here are very leary of new posters because they have had lots of issues with them starting stuff and making fun of us natural mamas. Sorry it happened to you too. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM

I've only been nursing for almost 3 years total, but my nipples are way stretched out as well.  I only nursed my oldest for 8 months, but my nipples stretched out considerably.  After my oldest weaned my nipples never did go back to normal.  My breasts, however, did.  I guess it's padded bras all the way for us! lol  I used to go bra-less all the time before having kids, but now my nipples show like crazy even when it's hot out :)

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#11 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Hmm. Mine were flat to begin with. 14 months of nursing and I see no change. Nice to know what I have to look forward to though. 

#12 of 22 Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM

I'm still nursing my third child, my 2 year old.  I didn't notice any big nipple changes, but after my second son weaned (2 years of nursing) my boobs looked deflated, like a balloon several days after the party ;) when my milk had dried up.  However, with my first son, I had inverted nipples, and had to use a nipple shield for several weeks to nurse.  They stayed out after that, and didn't go back to being inverted after I weaned him at 15 month.  They currently seem bigger than they used to be, but I'm still nursing my DD, so don't know if they'll get smaller when I wean.  Just the price we pay for bseing great mothers --  Stretched out bellies and boobs, but we get unconditional love in return! :)

#13 of 22 Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Nearly four years of straight nursing with several years before this but no changes. Everyone's different. Maybe some people have skin that's more 'stretchy'. I ended up with lots of stretch marks, maybe the op did not but now has this change.

#14 of 22 Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nursing really hasn't changed anything. But pregnancy sure did. I noticed it especially after #2 weaned and then I got pregnant again. I looked in the mirror and thought argh! there it goes again. 

#15 of 22 Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM

I have been nursing for 2 years and my nipples are extremely stretched out and hang. I have such strong beliefs about breastfeeding while at the same time my vanity is in question. My nipples are no longer a source for erotic anything....

#16 of 22 Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know about nipples in particular, but my mother, who breastfed for nearly 10 years (big family), tells me that following weaning the last kid, her boobs looked totally deflated for almost a year. However, they recovered! There's no going back to pre-pregnant, but it sounds like for some of us at least, don't judge what the final result will be by what they look like immediately after weaning. I'm still nursing my first/only, so I can't verify firsthand that there's a genetic link :)

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#17 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM

I have nursed for 2 1/2 years, a 2 year break, nursed another for 7 years, and just weaned recently.  I don't know that they every go back to "normal" because that WAS a few years ago, but they do get close.  I also got the old sensitivity back (vs. the uhg, please don't touch me there feeling).  

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#18 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

I nursed for about 4 yrs straight and my nipples definitely got larger and didn't go back to how they looked before I was a mom. They are not long though, and don't hang. But my breasts themselves changed from when I first weaned-- they got a little firmer after a couple of months. So maybe there's hope that your nipples will recover, too.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#19 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Welcome Back!!

I had a girlfriend that nursed for a long time, and she said that after about 6 months of not nursing, her boobs were a lot more firm and the excess skin started to tighten up. 

Also, this is something I always look at when Im feeling kind of down about my body because of birth/nursing:

http://theshapeofamother.com/

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#20 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your input! From what I gather, if your nipples were small to begin with, you won't have a problem.  Mine were already longer than average, and now 6 years post breastfeeding they are TOO long and hanging.  :(

Also, my breasts were AA cup to begin with and now they are a flat A :(  Does anyone have experience with herbs for breast enhancement?

I know this is really all about vanity at this point but now that I have my body back I would like to somewhat enjoy what I have! :)

#21 of 22 Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM

I remember when my first baby weaned, I became completely flat. Although this was 12 years ago, I very clearly remember being afraid I'd never have breasts again. They did fill back in, however. I don't remember how long it took, I had started pregnancy underweight and lost (too) rapidly afterward, but I do know that at about a year I had my breasts back. No enhancement herbs, although I considered them. I can't remember the name of the pills I looked at though.

I'm going on 2 years with my second child, and feeling a bit stretched out myself.

Dd 9/99 via csection. 6 lbs 10oz

Dd 1/11 via vbac. 8 lbs 10oz

11 years secondary infertility

#22 of 22 Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Don't feel bad for feeling "vain" about your body. It's difficult to go through the many changes we do as mothers! If I were you, I'd wait and see what my boobs looked like several months post-weaning and go from there. I will admit that I was a little shocked and worried about my breasts' deflated shape, but they definitely changed with time for the better. Not sure about supplements. Maybe someone else will know.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page