Help! Toddler significantly increasing nursing towards end of pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Im hoping someone might have some insight into my toddlers nursing situation :)

He is 2.5 years old and I am about 34 weeks pregnant. Towards the middle of this pregnancy he seemed to be on the road to weaning - only nursing at bed time and in the morning. He would hardly ever ask during the day, and if he did I would say "ok, we can nurse at bed time" and he would happily accept that answer and wait until bed time. 

Over the past 2 months he has suddenly started asking me multiple times a day and will not take no for an answer. He is also back to nursing before and after nap. I've tried asking him why he wants to nurse - "are you hungry, thirsty, tired, sad, etc" and the only answer he gives me is "Because I want to" with a huge smile and eager look on his face :) If I try to tell him no or to wait a little while he starts crying which he never did before. He wont accept any substitute like a hug, snuggle, book reading, playing ,etc. He just begs me "please, pleeeeease, pleeeease" until I say yes - and then he looks genuinely relieved and thrilled that I said yes (and I say yes almost all the time because the begging and crying is heartbreaking for me).

We recently moved to a new city and I am now at home with him every day (I used to work 3 days a week) and I cant figure out if his increased nursing is related to that situation or to the pregnancy somehow or what but its starting to drive me a little nuts! Every time I sit down on the couch he climbs up and asks me. He hasnt shown any other signs of being stressed or anxious since we moved and he is happy and playful all day just as he was before we moved so I tend to think its not really related to that. 

Has this happened to anyone else towards the end of their pregnancy - or otherwise? This sudden ramp up in toddler nursing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not there yet myself (17 month old and I'm not pregnant) but I have looked into nursing while pregnant. My bet is that in middle pregnancy your supply probably decreased significantly which probably caused his decreased nursing. His sudden interest now sounds like your colostrum is starting to come in and he gets more while nursing. He could also be nursing for comfort as he sees your belly grow and maybe is preparing for the baby and the changes that will come. Maybe you could compromise a little and try letting him nurse but set a time limit: sing a lullaby and when it's done, nursing is done for now. He could still nurse when he needs to but it would be a shorter session and less hard on you. Good luck with things and congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page