Breastfeeding and (mom's) hunger - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all --

Breastfeeding my large 17mo son. and I am hungry all. the. time. Does anyone have any advise on getting my hunger under control? I try to eat 5 small meals a day but end up snacking frequently.

Thanks!

Mari

#2 of 4 Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What do you eat?

From my experience, fatty foods help a lot to feel satiated after a meal. I eat a lot of oily fish, meat, eggs, and use coconut oil to cook. I eat 2 big meals a day, and snack a few times. I learned not to restrict food and just eat until I feel comfortably full. It works for us, my 15 month old nursling is still mostly on breastmilk and thriving, and I'm not hungry all the time. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#3 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM

i agree with the pp that eating more fat will help.  also make sure that you have cut out sugar - sugar causes cravings when you aren't actually hungry.  if you are hungry you should eat, it's your body's way of telling you that you need nutrients - especially if you are nursing a big kid winky.gif

just try to make sure that you are getting enough fat, and that what you are eating is as nutrient dense as possible. 

i am nursing my little big guy still, and i eat a TON of food.  i definitely feel full longer when i have a high fat, high protein meal....so, for example i eat 3 eggs and 3 slices of bacon for breakfast, which will usually last me until lunch.  If I need a snack, it will usually be an avocado or coconut milk yogurt.  for lunch, it's usually left over stew or a sandwich made with nut flour bread or something like a pepper or zuchinni in place of bread, with fruit or veggies dipped in nut butter. or sausage and sauerkraut with potato.  for dinner we usually have a soup or a stew or pan seared meat and veggies with a gravy made with my home made chicken stock.  i do snack in between meals too, usually fruit and/or nuts.  guacamole is another good one, or a green or other colored smoothie with an egg yolk and coconut oil..sometimes a LaraBar...and sometimes i make a pie for dessert and snack on the leftovers during the day.....now i'm getting hungry again!

anyway, point is that if you need to eat, then eat!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#4 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Thank you for posting this! love.gif  I am marathon nursing a gigantic (off the charts), awesome, sick 17 mo. kiddo today.  Love the advice, BabySmurf!  For some reason, I was really pro-active about healthy snacking choices early on, but have fallen into a carby/sugary trap lately.  You inspired me to dig out my old fav snack, organic baby carrots w/ organic pb (and LOADS of water!!!). yummy.gif

I agree about incorporating lots of fats (I find it cuts the sugar cravings, too).  Olives, raw cheese, nuts, olive oil, avocado - YUM!!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page