Toddler weaning advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just discovered that in order to get fertility treatment, I will need to stop breastfeeding. For financial and health reasons, it's important that I go through with the treatment sooner rather than later. However, I am still nursing my daughter (2 yrs 3 mos old) very regularly, and I feel really unsure of how to go about weaning. I'd always assumed that I would stop breastfeeding when she loses interests, so this was an unwelcome surprise. I'm concerned that the "don't offer, don't refuse" approach could take far too long, but I would like to be as gentle and considerate with this as possible. 

If any of you have stories or advice to share, I'd be grateful! Thank you.

#2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Do you have your periods back? I am still breastfeeding my 2 year 10 month old ALL THE TIME and I managed to get pregnant at 10 months after I had her. That was with literally nursing around the clock night and day. I think it is different for everyone, but I thought if you had your periods back it was likely you were fertile?

I find since giving birth my signs for the fertile period each month are much stronger.

I can understand you'd want to be really sure if it is treatments you are paying for though to maximize the chances it works.

I am finding night weaning my older one much harder than my 13 month old. But other people I know weaned just after 2 years 4 months really easily. She went on drugs after surgery she felt would be bad for him, and he accepted with a nod and never asked again!

#3 of 3 Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the slow response! Yes, I have my periods back and should be ovulating etc. But the issue is that we had problems with infertility last time, seem to be having them again, and the clinic we use simply doesn't allow treatments while breastfeeding. I do understand that many other people are lucky enough to get pregnant despite breastfeeding.

It's good to know that a child of a similar age weaned so easily! Hopefully things will go smoothly with us. I'm going to start cutting down on nursing in a couple weeks, and really really hope it won't be too hard on the little one. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page