milk gone...worried about DS's adjustment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My milk seems to have officially dried up this past week. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and DS is almost 22 months. I've been trying to decide whether to wean him for a while. He has always been an incredibly demanding nurser and I wasn't sure how I could keep up with a newborn baby. When my milk started to go this month, and with some pushes from my end, DS was at a point where he was nursing 2-3 x in a 24 hour period and he seemed content with that, and I was much happier with this pace.

Now I'm feeling no let-down whatsoever, so I think it's safe to say the milk is gone.  Since the milk has been disappearing, on a few occasions DS has woken up super early in the AM and could not be consoled, so DH found a bottle in our attic we used when I pumped, and gave him some whole milk we had on-hand out of desperation (he has never taken any sort of milk from a cup, only a bottle, which we weaned him from soon after he turned 1).

Now, his entire focus is on the bottle. He will still ask to nurse, but it's all dry-sucking, and he asks for the bottle more. I am concerned about the bottle for many reasons, but I especially don't want it to become a full-blown substitute for the nursing. I have a small stash of frozen BM we've been given him, but that will be gone in less than a week at the rate he is going.

My overall concerns are: a) over the weekend when my milk dried up, DS's total focus is now on milk in a bottle and he suddenly won't eat much food, b) he is tiny. His pediatrician is not concerned because he has always been small since birth, but I'm worried now that the lack of BM will impact his growth. I wouldn't say he has ever been a giant eater, but he would eat, especially what we were eating.

DS now wakes up and asks to eat, and I'll take him to the fridge and let him tell me what he wants to eat in the hopes of encouraging motivation for eating...lately he has picked out pickles & dried ginger (from my morning sickness days). I have to bribe him with crackers so he'll eat cheese, and he won't eat much of anything substantial we offer him. The one victory we had this weekend was when he asked for scrambled eggs, and he ate yogurt once or twice. He will eat fruit, but even that is inconsistent lately.

I am not sure what to do...should I keep giving him a bottle of BM and then cow's milk (despite my reservations with both the bottle at his age and cow's milk?)  Or should we just keep trying to get him to eat and hope this phase will pass?

#2 of 2 Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep giving him milk from a cup (straw, sippy, open, whatever). He might refuse at first but will get the hang of it. Reintroducing the bottle was likely NOT the best idea, but I know what it's like when you're desperate. smile.gif Otherwise, keep trying different foods, and focus on the fatty ones like avocado, etc. Sneak in calories where you can, like butter on the crackers under the cheese, etc.

I feel for you... it's hard enough to deal with any time, let along pregnant! My 28mo has feeding issues and is below the weight chart AND is really stubborn, so I *know* how hard it is to keep at it. But you can do it! If it gets overwhelming, call your pediatrician for advice/weight check/feeding evaluation as needed. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page