11 mo refusing expressed milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I technically work full time but am out of the house <20 h/week (typically 6 hours 3 days a week).

When I am home I bf her directly and then hand her off to nanny/MIL which works reasonably well.  For when I am out, she has pretty much taken exactly 6 oz for the time I am gone, from ages 4 months to 11 months.

Last week she started refusing any expressed milk at all while I am gone.  My MIL tried bottle, cup, straw, and spoon.  (Apparently DD kept shaking her head and saying 'No.')  I think MIL offered her water as well but she only took a couple of sips.  She did eat plenty of food including lots of fruit.

I am concerned about her not taking in any liquid for six hours.  Also I really need to start spending more time away for work in the near future.  Also I was hoping to transition her to cow's milk after her first birthday next week but I can't imagine how that is going to go since she isn't even taking my milk right now.  (MIL did try offering a bottle of cow's milk but she wasn't interested in that either.)

Any suggestions for me highly appreciated.  TIA

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#2 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would say that at that age she doesn't need milk in your absence. I went back to work when dd was 1 y/o and I didn't pump for her, she would just have water / cow's milk / juice when I was away. Your dd doesn't need cow's milk, especially if you continue to nurse before and after work.

I would just make water available to her and wouldn't worry about it. My ds doesn't drink a lot, never has, but also eats lots of fruits and veggies.

Dd on the other hand prefers meat and carbs and drinks a lot of water.

caffix.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply.  Really, no liquid for 6-8 hours?  That's interesting.  I actually asked the ped about it today and he wasn't too concerned either (what he actually said was "c'est la vie") so I guess the consensus is I can stop spazzing out about it.  Thanks!

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 4 Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are new articles about water consumption saying to eat your water. And not just cucumber and watermelon, cooked rice and white chicken meat both contain 60% water.  It all adds up. I'm not a cows milk drinker and never have been.  I don't miss it.  there are ton's of alternatives to getting the nutrients needed. Letting children eat as much or as little as they want and not force feeding is a great way to always let the body take what it needs.  Children do this naturally if we let them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page