3 year old breastfeeding 10 times a day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 3 years, 3 month old.  She is my 4th child and I breastfed all of her older siblings till they were 3-4 years old so I'm very used to nursing a preschool aged child.  What I'm not used to is the frequency.  I allowed all of my children to self wean and at 3 they all majorly cut back on wanting to nurse till eventually they were done with it.  She is actually increasing in how much she wants to nurse.

I recently had a new baby who is now 2.5 months old.  For a few months before I got pregnant and then during my pregnancy, my daughter nursed 2-4 times a day.  I suspected that she might increase in nursing right after the baby was born, because she would go from getting barely any milk to that yummy, fatty mama milk again.  So at first when she was nursing a lot, I didn't mind but now it's become a lot.  I am trying to homeschool my older 3 children, while tending to and feeding a newborn and then my 3 yo is also wanting to nurse every time I sit down.  I'm tried offering her a snack or a piece of fruit, but nothing deters her and she will get very upset until she nurses.  I don't want to upset her over it so I do.  Also, she was no longer night nursing and now that the new baby is here she wants to nurse ALL NIGHT LONG again.  I swear, last night I spent the entire night sitting up in bed, tandem nursing my newborn and 3 year old.  Of course, I don't mind it with my little one.  But I feel the 3yo should be able to sleep through the night.  But again, I don't want to reject her. 

I've never experienced "breastfeeding regression" to this extreme with any of my other children.  I'm not looking to wean her until she's ready, but would just like her to cut back on her nursing sessions.  Yesterday she breastfed 10 times plus all night.  Any tips or experiences?

Mama of 5!

DD (8)

DS (6)

DS (5)

DD (3)

DD (Brand new!)

#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not sure my reply will be of much help. My son will be three this month and nurses, easily, 10x per day, perhaps 4+ times per night, but that is a recent development (nights were 6-10x until 32 months). My guess per your situation is that your daughter is in need of that connection to you since her new sibling arrived. Breast and Mother are pretty much synonymous, and that is so for any breastfeeding child. If they fear you are going to leave them, they literally latch on for life. It's a way of keeping you near and quite natural I would think. Perhaps as she transitions to the birth of her new sibling, she will realize that she still gets all of the individual attention that she needs and mom has enough love, time and attention to fulfill all of her children's needs.

For now it seems the breast fulfills so much of that for her. It likely is very difficult for you, but I would imagine it is doing your daughter a world of good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page