Weekend getaway with DH OK? DS is 2. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS is 2 yrs 1 month and nurses 1-3 times per day.  He doesn't have any attachment issues.  He is very comfortable with other people and has a nanny that keeps him during the work day.  Do you think that I would sabatoge our breastfeeding relationship if I went for a weekend getaway with DH?  I'd probably go 3 days without nursing, but I could pump.

#2 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the longest he's gone without nursing?

I don't think anyone can really say for sure if it will harm your breastfeeding relationship or if it will be traumatic for your son. The question you might want to ask yourself is how will it make you feel if it does affect it, or it is traumatic for him? Is it something you can live with? How important is the weekend getaway to you when you balance against that scenario?

If you decide that you aren't comfortable with what might happen, are there any alternatives? Can you make just an overnight trip instead of a weekend trip? Can you bring the nanny with you, but have your own room?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#3 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I don't think he'll care one bit if I'm gone overnight that long.  ...I might though!  And if I came back and he wouldn't nurse anymore, then, yeah.  I'd be upset.

#4 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM

I had to travel on several overnight work trips when DS was a baby.  When he was about 20 months, I had a four-day training session out of town.  By that time, I wasn't pumping anymore, but he was nursing in the morning and at night, as well as around naptime on the weekends.  The separation didn't phase him one bit.  Once I returned from the training on Friday afternoon, he woke up from a nap and had a nice nursing session.  love.gif  

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM

When nursing DS2 was 9mths old I went to an out of town wedding for 2 days without him. I pumped while away and he did fine and nursed like a champ when I got back.

In July of this year, when nursing DS2 was 20 mths old, my older son broke his leg and we were in the hospital for almost 3 days.  He stayed with my mom & sister while I stayed at the hospital. DS2 did fine and again nursed like a champ when I saw him again.

I know all kids are different and your child could be effected differently by the separation, but I think he should be okay. Just make sure you nurse him right before you leave and right when you get back. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#6 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM

I've left DS (now 27 mos) twice since he was 21 months for more than 1 night.  Once for two nights to attend a wedding, and once for 3 nights for a work trip.  I brought my pump and pumped once a day on the 3 night trip (more for my comfort than anything!) and didn't bother for the two night trip.

DS is still nursing just fine.  So, for me it wasn't an issue but every babe is different.  If he's still really interested in nursing I think it's way less likely that he'd just stop than if he is already starting to self-wean and is a long ways down that path.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page