Just wanted to share - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/07/breastfeeding-in-land-of-genghis-khan.html

My favourite part:

"I moved away from Canada, to Mongolia, where my husband was conducting a wildlife study. There, babies are kept constantly swaddled in layers of thick blankets, tied up with string like packages you don't want to come apart in the mail. When a package murmurs, a nipple is popped in its mouth. Babies aren't changed very often, and never burped. There aren't even hands available to thrust a rattle into. Definitely no tummy time. Babies stay wrapped up for at least three months, and every time they make a sound, they're breastfed.

This was interesting. At three months, Canadian babies are already having social engagements, even swimming. Some are learning to "self-soothe." I had assumed that there were many reasons a baby might cry, and that my job was to figure out what the reason was and provide the appropriate solution. But in Mongolia, though babies might cry for many reasons, there is only ever one solution: breastmilk. I settled down on my butt and followed suit.

During the Mongolian winters, I spent many afternoons in my friend Tsetsgee's yurt, escaping the bitter cold outside. It was enlightening to compare our different parenting techniques. Whenever a tussle over toys broke out between our two-year-olds, my first reaction would be to try to restore peace by distracting Calum with another toy while explaining the principle of sharing. But this took a while, and had a success rate of only about 50 percent. The other times, when Calum was unwilling to back down and his frustration escalated to near boiling point, I would pick him up and cradle him in my arms for a feed.

Tsetsgee had a different approach. At the first murmur of discord, she would lift her shirt and start waving her boobs around enthusiastically, calling out, "Come here, baby, look what mama's got for you!" Her son would look up from the toys to the bull's-eyes of his mother's breasts and invariably toddle over.

Success rate? 100 percent."

phathui5 likes this.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loved it! Thanks for sharing!
#3 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM

So cool!

#4 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM

hahah that is awesome and funny. my husband thinks that is what i do for everything (lift up my shirt and wave my boobs around). now i can tell him i'm just following the example of the mongolians!

#5 of 7 Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love that!
#6 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That was a fascinating article. Thanks for sharing it.

#7 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM

Thx for sharing!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page