water and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How much fluid do you need to drink while breastfeeding? I always try drinking plenty of water, but lately, my lips have been so dry! Has anyone ever had this issue? I tried drinking more water and cutting back on sodium. That hasn't helped a whole lot. Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM

I'm not sure what the recommended amount is, but I drink a gallon a day and haven't had any dryness or supply issues for my 4mo. old. I keep a big 32 oz. cup by my side day and night and refill frequently. 

#3 of 5 Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 PM

I'm glad you asked this question, I have a lot of trouble staying hydrated with me one year old sucking me dry. Every time I try to drink, he runs over and tries to play with the glass. 

susanmary likes this.

I'm a mamma to an amazing little guy and wife to a wonderful husband. I love making stuff from scratch and writing about it on my blog. 

www.fourthfloorhomestead.blogspot.com

#4 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM

With the twins I needed to drink up to a gallon a day for the first year, but with the other babies I don't worry about it.  I try to drink a couple big glasses of water a day and ummmm, coffee. 

Dry lips can also be because of a lack of B vitamins or dryer cooler air from winter.  There may be other things too, but those I know.  I have had a lack of B vitamins while nursing and just went back to taking my prenatal vitamins everyday again and that fixed it.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#5 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I have to drink about a gallon a day or I have supply issues and constipation.  I have dry, cracked lips this time of year too, but I think that's probably dry air from our wood stove... the camphor medicated lip balm works wonders for me though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page