Has anyone weaned cold turkey without skipping town? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you wean cold-turkey, but stick around for company and cuddles?

Please tell me how it went.  Methinks I'm going to do it tomorrow night.  DS is 2 1/2.  We've been talking about weaning for a while.  He's only been nursing at night (and lately most of the night = no sleep = argh!!!!) for a few months.  He talks all day about how he's a big boy and isn't going to drink mommy's milk anymore, nono.  But come bedtime it's "Me not a big boy!  Me a little boy!  Boob time!"

I am ready to wean (his sister had just weaned at this age), and, especially, ready to SLEEP.  Also trying to wean him from the unintended cosleep situation of me ending up in his bed all night!  We deliberately coslept for a long time.  But now he shares a room with his sister and I'm ready for that to be his nighttime companionship.  (They're in bunk beds.  She is 6 1/2 and on top.)

Thoughts?  Advice?

The dude needs to sleep!!!  Me too !!!!!!!!!!

-a weary momma

PS: When I cut him off daytime nursing it was cold turkey and it went fine...although that does seem to be when his nighttime sleep got worse.  Sigh.

#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 PM

My older one weaned suddenly at 3 1/2 because I had to start antibiotics that I couldn't nurse with.  There was one very sad night and next morning (we were doing 95% of our nursing to sleep and upon waking in the morning), but after that it wasn't too bad.  He was able to understand that my milk wasn't good for him because of the meds and he was actually pretty worried about whether or not my breasts were going to be okay and he asked me about it for months after.  

I wore a serious bra to bed (one of those with like 4 hook and eye thingies) for at least a few days and to go to sleep he lay on my belly while I rubbed his back.  I remember it was rough to get out from under him, but it worked out okay.  I think it was good to establish a new routine.  

Good luck!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 4 Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I warned both kids for weeks "when your birthday comes milk is going bye bye" and I didn't leave them. It was a lot harder with my three year old than my two year old. I stopped because I was starting to hate my kids. If you hate your kids it is time to change something. Our relationships are SO MUCH better now.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 4 Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, rightkindofme--at bedtime I am starting to feel that way!!!

I wussed out and haven't done cold turkey, or even close.  Just lots of detatching.  He's fallen asleep NOT  nursing for 3 nights now.  But he has nursed a lot all three of those nights.  Ugh.

We are on the right road, and he talks all day about how he isn't going to nurse anymore.  So it's coming.  But I am so, so impatient now.  Just want this dude to fall asleep without nursing.  And it would be great if he'd then actually sleep most of the night too!  But first things first.

Thanks mamas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page