baby bites while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, quick question. My 10 month old is in the process of getting her top 2 teeth and bottom 2 teeth in, and has been biting me alot lately while breastfeeding. I know people say to unlatch her, say "no bite", and give her something to teeth on, etc. But it does not work! She thinks it's funny. So it happens a lot, and it hurts! Any other tips I could try? Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM

I would pull Little Miss's face into the breast so she'd unlatch herself and then set her on the floor and ignore her completely (no commentary, no eye contact, just no reaction at all) for about 60 seconds.  It worked.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

I had a similar resonse to Mrs.gregory. After my yelp in pain which he did seem to find funny I would quickly unlatch. Then I would say no firmly and set him down in the crib for a minute and ignore him completely. That was the end of that nursing session. Usually if they are biting they aren't hungry or thirsty and are often ready to do something else anyway. You could try unlatching a little sooner. A 10 month old can nurse really efficiently and may only need to nurse 5 or 10 minutes.They are so ready to go go go at that age. Some fun games of peek a boo or patty cake or chase me might reinforce the idea that those are funny play activities with mom and biting mom is not funnyand results in no attention at all. Good luck. I hope this phase is very short for you. I know how painful it is.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM

I completely agree with pp. When DD bit me, I kept a neutral expression, didn't make a sound and put her down on the floor. I didn't even wait a full minute; usually I lasted 5 to 10 seconds before picking her back up and offering to nurse again. The key for us was 1) no reaction, just calmly stop nursing 2) being consistent even if it meant putting her down five times in a row. It took a long weekend but she stopped biting. When she occasionally would slip up, I would do the same thing and she wouldn't bite again for months. Hth
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM

I push my sons face into my breast so he'll unlatch, and I tell him very sternly NO! We don't bite! Then I put him on the floor for a minute, and he doesn't bite again!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. :)

User Tag List