Hey, breastfeeding moms!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Been a long time since I've been here..and that's because this site was screwing with my ancient computer for some reason.

But I've come here, today, with a question I'm seriously seeking advice on from other breastfeeding moms. My fiance's friend is giving him a birthday present this upcoming year - and that is to see someone, in concert, that he, and I both adore. His friend thought it would be nice if he got me a ticket too, as since our son's been born, the last time we've been out together by ourselves are quick trips to the grocery store if he's sleeping, and when he was just a few days old to just under 2 weeks old before I was able to transition him fully to breastfeeding. ..But that poses a problem.

My son is breastfed, and really only falls asleep nursing. He also rarely accepts comfort long-term from anyone else but me. This concert is going to take me away from him for a good part of the day, and I've only been away from him for an hour at most, due to the reasons mentioned above. The last time he had a bottle was when he was just shy of 2 weeks old, and we don't use pacifiers. My mom's going to bring over her rocking chair, because that's the one thing he finds comfort in other than breastfeeding. But beyond that..I guess I'm not sure how to satisfy his suckling needs. Now, I have no issues staying home with him and having my fiance bring someone else along *if* that's what it comes down to. I am well aware of my responsibilities as a parent. And we fully plan on running test trials where I am away for longer and longer periods of times to see where our son's comfort level(and mine) lay, and see if we can stretch that, bit by bit. But again, I'm at a loss. Should I even try introducing him to a bottle, or a pacifier, and see which he might find comfort in better, if either at all? Or should I look into other methods for his grandparents(all 4 would be watching him) to comfort him? =/ Thoughts seriously appreciated. Oh, by the way, he'll be just a few days shy of 24 months by the time this concert comes up. If that helps anyone. He is 20 months now.

#2 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Hi, I was in the same situation with my dd at 20 months - and I only had a baby sitter to rely on!!!!  I take it your ds is on solid food as well as bf. I would make sure there is a lot of his fave foods avail, take away some of his fave toys/dvds now so he has a distraction on the day. My experience was we found the ap paid off. DD was brilliant and coped really well. So well that we now have a regular babysitter come once a month so we can have date night. So I say go for it. If you have a great attachment with him then he should feel secure without you and grandmas tend to be able to calm kids too. I would guess if you havent left him for more than an hour she is prob busting to look after him. At any rate if he does get upset your vigilence up to this point should mean a return to normal very quickly

#3 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

She does want to look after him... but he hasn't been exactly the easiest baby for anyone else to comfort but me. And since I'm a stay-at-home mom, and he doesn't use a bottle, and got used to nursing himself to sleep..and me being there whenever he needed me... you get the picture. But he's used to all comfort coming from me. I'm planning on leaving a worn shirt with him, maybe even several, so he has my sent. I might even slip one onto one of his stuffed animals(not like he plays with them anyway), just in case too :) I hope he'll feel secure without me! I really do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page