Healthy breakfast ideas for 1 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I was wondering if you'd mind sharing any healthy breakfast ideas for a one year old (12 months last week).

This past month my son has gone off his morning porridge and mashed raisins as well as scrambled eggs. He's hit or miss with natural yoghurt and bananas. Actually he's been going through a fussy phase for about 5 weeks now, so I'm seeking inspiration! :-) Even though he indicates he wants food first thing in the morning, he actually then doesn't seem to want the food that i've been offering and is subsequently very cranky and constantly requests to nurse (which is fine but makes it hard for me to be productive).

Other information is that he usually prefers finger foods (mr independent) and won't stay in his seat very long.

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions!
Thanks,
Susan
#2 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Avocado on toast or grilled cheese on toast. Or dinner leftovers.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Katelove! Much appreciated!
#4 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM

My little ones love mochi for breakfast. I cut it up into small squares and bake it in the toaster oven for under ten minutes. Then I slice open the squares and put either almond butter and honey inside or cream cheese and honey inside. The cinnamon raisin is our favorite.

#5 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Whatever we have I usually feed her: scrambled eggs, chorizo and eggs and guacamole, french toast or pancakes with applesauce on top, cut up pears, oranges, diced apple, canned peaches...

#6 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Have you done fruit smoothies?  My go-to recipe always has a banana and half an avocado in it, plus whatever other berries or fruit I have on hand and sounds good.  We keep frozen blueberries, so they are a staple, same with frozen peaches.  If I have a ripe mango, that's super yummy.  I've even sectioned an orange and just thrown that in as well.  If you do dairy, I like to put in a big scoop of yogurt, and use milk as the liquid.  If you don't do dairy (as we no longer do with DS) the avocado makes it reasonably creamy and I will use almond milk for the liquid.

This is also great for snacks and on the go and for busy toddlers who don't want to sit long enough to eat!  Also great frozen into popcicle molds for a very healthy dessert (or you can freeze it into icecube trays so that you can just pop some into a cup to defrost rather than making a batch every time)!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#7 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow ladies! Thank you so much for such fab suggestions so far. My mouth is watering even reading these posts.

Thank you!!! X
#8 of 13 Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Mini Muffins made ahead of time, quiche, bagels and cheam cheese, fresh berries, i second grilled cheese!
#9 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Mashed fuit on toast.

Cook grated apple into the porridge and/or use a different grain (eg millet porridge)

Bread dipped in egg, fried and cut into strips

My kids liked bagels cut into disks, downwards rather than through the middle, then grilled with butter and chopped fruit

grate cheese into mashed banana and put in a sandwich or on toast

Pancakes 

And don't worry too much - fussiness is normal even if it can drive us potty!

#10 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I always strive for protein over carbs for breakfast.  How about some really well cooked beans?  Not mashed, just cooked nice and soft and left whole so the LO can pick them up and self-feed.

Cicely likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#11 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies. These suggestions are fantastic! Much appreciated! XSusan
#12 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM

My DD loves almond pancakes made with almond flour, applesauce or ground pear, and a little bit of egg.  She eats them with yogurt.  (The recipe is in the book "The Top 100 Finger Foods for Babies and Children," which is an awesome cookbook!)

That book also has a recipe for "egg cups" (baked eggs with veggies in shells made from slices of ham or other meat) and little pig-in-blanket muffins, both of which my DD and DH also heartily approve. :)

If all else fails, I give DD toast spread with almond butter or melted cheese--she adores both of them. 

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#13 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I never would have thought of almond flour. Great ideas! Thank you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page