Breastfeeding and top teeth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is almost 15 months old and over the holidays her top tooth finally broke through. She nurses 4-6 times during the day. And recently it has become a bit painful with this top tooth. It doesn't leave a mark but it feels a bit sharp sometimes when she is nursing. Is this typical?
#2 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM

My DD was around 6 months when she got her top teeth and it was hard at first. It changes the latch a bit and I had to be more careful to get her to open wide. Trying new positions also helped. Mostly we needed time to figure it out how to nurse with teeth. Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM

My youngest is 18 months old.  He has had two top teeth and two bottom teeth for about 6 months now.

Lately, it hurts every time I nurse him.  It feels a bit sharp.  It has been about a week and its not getting any better. 

I only feed him at nap time and bed time.

He is def not ready to stop.

Is it the top teeth that is causing this?

Is there anything I can do to fix the issue?

#4 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 AM

to Julie,

probably not the teeth since he has had them for months and just started hurting for a week. Could be yeast infection... or plugged duct- are there any white spots on the nipple? = milk bleb which can get painful or cause plugged duct... I'd search kellymom.com- they have a lot of good info for nursing troubles... also if you have started menstruating again recently some of us (me included) get sore nipples around ovulation and menstruation, which is a drag...some recommend evening primrose oil for that....and it totally does feel sharp.

good luck!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM

i.e. this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM

DD had to learn to adjust her latch when she first got her top teeth at 15 months. For a while I had to hold my breast when she latched and point my nipple so that it went more up toward to roof of her mouth, also I made it a fun game to work on her latch, I would just tell her that her new teeth were poking me and have her open her mouth really wide and say "Ahhh" as she was latching on. Sometimes she would get annoyed if I had her do it too many times, but usually she thought it was funny. Also, after a few weeks my nipple toughened up more and then even when her latch wasn't great it no longer bothered me. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page