9 month old self weaning? :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the past week or two, my 9 month old baby hasn't been nursing at all. He doesn't really seem interested anymore and even if I get him to latch it's just for a quick second and he just sits there and chews on me. I'm not sure if he's self weaning or my milk is drying up? I've had supply issues this whole time, but planned to breastfeed long term as long as I could but I'm feeling like this is the end of the road for us :(

I tried pumping to keep my supply up but that's never worked really well for me, I've tried several pumps but was never able to get much. 

I haven't changed his diet, there haven't really been any other changes that would effect his appetite so I'm not sure what's going on with him. 

#2 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Does he have a cold? My little man went on a nursing strike for a week because he had a plugged up nose and couldn't get good suction.

#3 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think so... he drinks from his bottle the same as he normally does, in fact he just drank 8oz without taking a breath! lol

#4 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A nine month old is not ready to wean. Many babies end up weaning early because they have a nursing strike that mom thinks is weaning. Him getting bottles on top of having a typical nine month old nursing strike could be compounding the issue.

These links have lots of information:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/Breastfeeding/Becky/strike.html

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks those links are helpful :)

Are nursing strikes at 9 months typical?

#6 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can you stop giving him bottles?

Babies don't self wean, they need breastmilk (or formula, or some type of milk). You baby prefers the bottle.

caffix.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to but it's unfortunately not an option for us. 

He's had a bottle since he was about a month old and has never before preferred the bottle... I'm not sure if it's me or him...

#8 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Do you babywear? Breastfeeding in a sling or soft structured carrier can be a very effective way of increasing latching on, actual feeding and increasing your milk supply. photos: http://www.nursingfreedom.org/2010/10/breastfeeding-while-babywearing-part-4.html

I personally have found motion to be very effective in encouraging baby to latch on and feed. You may wish to try it the next time baby unlatches or just nibbles instead of suckling.

#9 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'l give that a try smile.gif
He normally doesn't like to be in a sling because he likes to be on the floor and into everything, but maybe if there is a boob in his mouth, he'll sit still lol
#10 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM

My Little Miss isn't weaned and so certainly didn't wean at 9 months, but she didn't like the boob the way she did before solids either.  Once she got the hang of eating, the boob was yesterday's newspaper.  She also hated being worn once she could sit up on her own, and certainly once she could move at all.  I found it really helped to nurse her when she was sleepy, in a nice calm, quiet area.  At 9 months, she had dropped down to nursing 3 times a day, and there wasn't anything I could do to get her more interested again.  We are still nursing 1-2 times a day at 16 months.  Some days she barely nurses at those sessions, and some days, like today, she asks to nurse and is more interested.  I am not sure I'm ready to wean, I am sure I'm ready for her to make up her mind about weaning or not.  We've been in limbo for a few months now.  I'm certain that wasn't helpful, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone if you've got a babe that's kind of "Meh." about boobs.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#11 of 11 Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

My Little Miss isn't weaned and so certainly didn't wean at 9 months, but she didn't like the boob the way she did before solids either.  Once she got the hang of eating, the boob was yesterday's newspaper.  She also hated being worn once she could sit up on her own, and certainly once she could move at all.  I found it really helped to nurse her when she was sleepy, in a nice calm, quiet area.  At 9 months, she had dropped down to nursing 3 times a day, and there wasn't anything I could do to get her more interested again.  We are still nursing 1-2 times a day at 16 months.  Some days she barely nurses at those sessions, and some days, like today, she asks to nurse and is more interested.  I am not sure I'm ready to wean, I am sure I'm ready for her to make up her mind about weaning or not.  We've been in limbo for a few months now.  I'm certain that wasn't helpful, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone if you've got a babe that's kind of "Meh." about boobs.

Thanks, that is helpful to know that there is someone else experiencing the same problems but still breastfeeding :)

I've talked to my LCs and all they keep suggesting is to pump... gah, so frustrating!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page