Getting my Wisdom Teeth Out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been putting off having my wisdom teeth out for ages and it is feeling like the time to just get it done already.  

I would probably do it sometime this summer when I'll have lots of family help on hand.  

My one big concern is my son who would be 20-23 months by then and almost certainly still nursing.  (I nursed my older kids well past age 2.5, little dude shows no sign of stopping and I'm more than happy to keep on keepin' on.)  

What have other mamas done in similar situations?  Pump and dump?  Request/avoid certain anesthetics or medications?  

Any experiences, advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

orngbiggrin.gif

“...there are two ways to meet life; you may refuse to care until indifference becomes a habit, a defensive armor, and you are safe - but bored. Or you can care greatly, live greatly, until life breaks you on its wheel. ” - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#2 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Not wisdom teeth, but I've had several oral/jaw surgeries while nursing over the years. It's better to ask in advance which drugs they will use and do the research yourself. There are very few that are are off limits but in my experience they are so worried about liability that the stock response is "just don't nurse afterward". Yeah,doctor, I really want to deal with a baby freaking out because she wants milk right after surgery.
Kellymom.com has a section on meds and nursing, & if you google Medications and Mother's Milk it will get you to Dr. Hale's website.
#3 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the leads.  I'll do some research.  And it honestly never occurred to me to ask ahead of time which meds would be used, but that makes an awful lot of sense.  Hard to give "informed consent" if you haven't had any time to process the information you're being given. 

“...there are two ways to meet life; you may refuse to care until indifference becomes a habit, a defensive armor, and you are safe - but bored. Or you can care greatly, live greatly, until life breaks you on its wheel. ” - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM

nak....

I just got mine out 3 days ago!  I have a EBF 5.5 mo old.  Obviously I wish I could have waited longer but I had an active infection in the one I got extracted.  I elected to do it with just local numbing injections (lidocaine with epinepherine) and it was FINE.  I didn't feel it at all.  I took 200c arnica and hypercium alternating every 2 hrs for 24 hours afterwards, and had to take one dose of 400mg ibuprofen, but just the eve of surgery.  Since then just warm salt water rinses.  I shopped around for an oral suregon who was willing to do it with the least meds possible.  I didn't even take antibiotics (he irrigated out the infected tissue after the removal.)  Sure, I am sore, but at least I didn't have any interruption with my nursling.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM

call infantrisk (google them for number), they are amazingly helpful.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM

I was put under general to have my 4 out and I just went home afterwards and nursed my 7 month old like normal! smile.gif. (Now the antibiotics they put me on wreaked havoc on our lives from then on out....but as for the anesthesia, it was no big deal! )

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#7 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I had my wisdoms teeth out under sedation before I had children but I wasn't given anything incompatible with breastfeeding. As a PP said, there are actually very few drugs which are contraindicated for breastfeeding.

I had my tonsils out when my LO was 16 months old. I fed her in the evening about 2hrs after surgery and then as normal from the following morning when I went home. I was on antibiotics for two weeks because the surgeon found pus under one of my tonsils and it wasn't a problem for us at all (although I know everyone is different).

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page