Night weaning- Advice for cutting out final early morning nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My son is 22 months and has always slept in our bed.  We did the all night nursing marathon until about 20 months, when I could no longer take it (actually should have happened earlier, I was way too resentful, etc.).  I always envisioned that it would be 3-5 nights of comforting him while he got the hang of getting back to sleep in the night without nursing, but it didn't go that way at all.  We had to cut out each nursing session one at a time.  We have been down to a roughly 4 am nursing for about 6 weeks, but we are finding that even that is way too disruptive for all of us.  Often I don't get back to sleep afterwards, and sometimes neither does my son, leaving him super overtired and cranky the next morning.  We need a change.

For the past 6 nights we've tried not nursing until 6 am.  Often I end up getting out of bed around 5 (the time change has worked in our favor!) and going to the couch because he gets so upset with me there but not nursing.  My husband tells him stories and he will doze on and off for a little bit, but has never gotten back to sleep completely. Sometimes when I go back in at 6 he will go back to sleep for an hour or so, but sometimes he doesn't.  Something about one big nursing instead of a bunch of small ones wakes all of us up more.

Any advice on cutting out this final night nursing in the wee hours?  I'm starting to feel like he may never really sleep well until we wean completely, which I'm not really ready to do and he would definitely not be happy about! It's taking a really big toll on all of us.  

Feeling a little hopeless and ready for some good sleep for myself and my son.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Hi MamaGill! I think your post got overlooked in this forum. I'm going to move it over to the Breastfeeding forum where you might get some good input. :)

Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a thought... Is he hungry? My dd was growing like crazy and hungry and night when we night weaned so we kept bananas by the bed

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!

User Tag List