Extended Nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone led me to an Extebded Nursing Thread? I had thought my five year old son had weaned two months ago, but my newest arrival which I am presently nursing, has my older son wanting to return to nursing. I'd like some information about older children nursing. Thanks.

Jillian

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

I moved your thread here where it should get some input from moms with experience to share. smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM

I don't have any advice, but wanted to boost this post in the hopes that others would jump in! My DS1 weaned at 4, and when I gave birth to his brother about 18 months later, actively started asking to nurse again. I declined his request, partly because I just wanted to focus my nursing relationship on the baby, and partly because I just wasn't comfortable going there (restarting a nursing relationship with a 5.5 year old). However, I was careful to be gentle in my refusals, and promised him he could have hugs and cuddles whenever he wanted. This often resulted in my nursing the babe on one side, with a first-grader tucked up under my arm on the other. Which was fine. smile.gif

Fast-forward 2 years, and DS2 is still enthusiastically nursing, and DS1 is still occasionally asking to get in on the "num-num". But he asks knowing what the answer is, so it's become sort of an in-joke between us.

That said, I'd love to hear from others who DID restart that relationship, and how it worked out for you...

#4 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm one who restarted, I am still not sure weather I did the right thing or not. My older son put up such a fuss when he began seeing his new little bother nursing..that after several days of going through his tampers, plus beginning with a new baby..plain and simple, I just gave into him. When I told him he could try, but not to think it was going to happen as much as his little brother, he seemed to understand.. Once I had finished with the little one, I took Kevin upstairs with me, and we laid on the bed, I offered him the breast and he began to nurse like he'd never stopped. It was after I had finished nursing Shawn, and I didn't think I had much left, but he seemed to be satisfied. So now I have worked out a schedule for Kevin and myself, we go up to my bedroom each morning once I have finished nursing Shawn, and I allow him to nurse until he is satisfied. I really don't know if it's a kind of jealousy he has with of Shawn, or just wanting to nurse again. So now I have a five year old son nursing, and I have no idea when it will stop. I do know, if I find my milk supple is not sufficient to satisfy Shawn, then Kevin will be taken off the breast. How many five year olds are being nursed, does anyone want to venture a guess...it does sometime bother me a bit, nursing a five year old...but it does seem to be making him happy...so that makes me happy!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page